History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Waterloo House and Attached Brick Wall to the Rear

A Grade II Listed Building in Bridgwater, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1274 / 51°7'38"N

Longitude: -3.0044 / 3°0'15"W

OS Eastings: 329812

OS Northings: 136941

OS Grid: ST298369

Mapcode National: GBR M5.98P4

Mapcode Global: VH7DH.WX2L

Entry Name: Waterloo House and Attached Brick Wall to the Rear

Listing Date: 24 March 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052274

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373982

Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Bridgwater

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bridgwater

Listing Text


BRIDGWATER

ST2936NE ST MARY STREET
736-1/11/174 (South side)
24/03/50 No.41
Waterloo House and attached brick
wall to the rear

GV II

Public house. Early/mid C18 with later additions. Flemish-bond
brick, painted stone coping to the parapet, cornice,
rusticated quoins and architraves; parallel wing to rear is
weatherboarded to upper floors; pantile roof with brick ridge
stack to rear right wing and truncated stack to right return.
Double-depth plan.
3 storeys including substantial C20 attic; 6-window range. C20
rusticated quoins continue above the cornice and flank the
c1980 attic storey which is over-size, with 3/3-pane sashes in
moulded architraves. Quoins to lower floors have returned
cornices stepped forward from the main moulding; first floor
has segmental arches to moulded architraves, bracketed cills
and 6/6-pane sash windows; 2 similar windows to ground-floor
right.
Rest of ground floor is articulated by 6 early C19 panelled
pilasters supporting a moulded cornice; the 3 bays to left
have tripartite windows with octagonal panes to overlights and
3 rows of 3 panes to centre, possibly early C19 also. The
2-paned double doors have large overlight similar to that in
Town Hall (qv) of octagonal and square panes; between paired
pilasters to right of door is a single column of panes.
The C20 stretcher-bond brick wall of right return has been
rebuilt below cornice level and has 9 tie-bar end crosses;
truncated stack to right of ridge also has a tie-bar end. To
right of right return are stepped stone voussoirs to late C18
windows in forward frames and 6/6-pane sashes on both floors;
similar smaller window to first-floor right.
A further wing to rear is weatherboarded to upper floors with
half-hipped roof and 6/6-pane sash window below hip. Rear
facade, rebuilt below the eaves, has an early C18 wooden
modillion cornice and 4 irregularly-spaced 6/6-pane sash
windows.
INTERIOR: oval stair-hall to centre of block, lit by window in
left return, has an early C19 open-well, open-string staircase
with fretted ends, stick balusters and swept handrail. A few
early C19 features such as 6-panel doors, internal fanlight
remain.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a Flemish-bond brick wall approx 3m high
and 30m long, attached to rear of right return, has 5 deep
semicircular-arched recesses on the garden side.


Listing NGR: ST2980836933

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.