History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wootton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8758 / 51°52'32"N

Longitude: -1.3637 / 1°21'49"W

OS Eastings: 443903

OS Northings: 219882

OS Grid: SP439198

Mapcode National: GBR 7W3.B20

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.93YV

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052899

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252952

Location: Wootton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Wootton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wootton, Glympton and Kiddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOOTTON CHURCH STREET
SP4319 (East side)
15/297 Church of St. Mary
27/08/57
GV II*
Church. Probable late Saxon origins; mainly mid C13, chancel rebuilt and
refenestrated in early C14; early C16 clerestory. Coursed and uncoursed
limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; gabled stone slate chancel roof and
shallow-pitched lead roofs. Chancel, nave with north aisle and south porch, and
west tower. Much restored in (C19 and C20) 4-light reticulated east window;
south side of chancel has late C13 Y-tracery window (restored C20), reset C15
head corbel, late C13 pointed roll-moulded doorway and C14 ogee-headed and
trefoiled light; rood-skair projection to north. 3-bay north aisle has C19
buttress, early C14 Curvilinear 2-light window and hood mould over blocked
2-centred arched doorway; 3-light east window has ogee over trefoiled lights
with mouchettes in spandrels; early C16 two-light round-headed window to west.
South side of nave has C19 buttress, 2 early C14 Curvilinear 2-light windows and
label moulds over 2 late C14/C15 two-light ogee-headed windows. Fine Early
English (mid C13) south porch has arch of 3 orders with hollow-chamfered arches
set on engaged shafts with bell capitals; C16 chamfered lights to side walls and
hood mould over mid C13 pointed moulded south door with C19 doors; 1623 sundial
over porch. Early C16 two-light round-headed clerestorey windows 3 stage west
tower, remodelled in C15, has offset corner buttresses; pointed-arched doorway
to south stair-turret; early C14 curvilinear west window; C13 lancet to south;
C15 two-light louvred belfry lights; C14 crenellated parapet with gargoyles and
crocketed pinnacles; probably late Saxon blocked doorway to south. Interior:
Mosaic reredos of 1887. Mid C19 double-chamfered chancel arch. Mid C13 four-bay
north arcade with double-chamfered arches set on round piers with moulded
capitals; mid/late C19 archway to east of arcade. Late C14 octagonal font with
convex sides and moulded base. Mid/late C19 arch-braced chancel roof; C17
five-bay tiebeam roof with king studs and C15 and early C16 authropomorphic
corbels. C15 hollow-chamfered west archway with moulded capitals to inner order.
Mid C19 box pews and Gothic-style pulpit. Monuments: C19 memorial tablets
include memorial in chancel to Reverend Charles Lee (d.1841) who endowed Bridge,
Parrotts School and Church Cottages (q.v.). C17 and C18 ledger stones, include
lozenge-shaped floor memorial dated 1631 in chancel. Baroque Harris Monument,
with 1676 date and segmental pediment, to north; broken-pedimented monument to
south with Doric triglyphs with guttae to base, commemorates Thomas Dee, d.1735;
to east, a pedimented monument with Corinthian pilasters commemorates Charles
Crisp, d.1740, and Baroque Monument with urn, swags and skulls commemorates
Dorothy and Thomas Crisp, d.1702 and 1701. Nave has wall tablet with urn to
Reverend John Gregory, d.1800, stele-type monument to Mary Anne Smallbones,
d.1830, and wall monument surmounted by crest to Anne Sotham, d.1777.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp859-860; National Monuments Record;
Bodleian Library, Topographical Drawings, for drawings by R.C. Buckler and other
C19 drawings; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, pp282-3)


Listing NGR: SP4390319882

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.