History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ford Memorial,c18 Chest Tomb and Two C17 Monuments Approximately 2-5 Metres South of South Transept of Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelmscott, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6924 / 51°41'32"N

Longitude: -1.6409 / 1°38'27"W

OS Eastings: 424920

OS Northings: 199356

OS Grid: SU249993

Mapcode National: GBR 5V6.ZZ2

Mapcode Global: VHC0C.HQXG

Entry Name: Ford Memorial,c18 Chest Tomb and Two C17 Monuments Approximately 2-5 Metres South of South Transept of Church of St George

Listing Date: 30 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053411

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253818

Location: Kelmscott, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Kelmscott

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broadwell with Kelmscott

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Buscot

Listing Text

KELMSCOTT
SU2499-2599
10/66 Ford memorial, C18 chest tomb
and two C17 monuments approx.
2-5n S of south transept of
Church of St. George
GV II

3 chest tombs and one ridge-backed tomb. Late C17 and late C18. Ford memorial
(west of two C18 chest tombs): rectangular with stepped moulded plinth, capping
and stepped top. Rococo carving to sides with floral motifs to corner pilasters
on south and panelled corner pilasters to north. Inscription on south with
carved head of winged cherub to top commemorates Thomas Ford (d.1770) and
inscription on north to his wife, Mary (d.1775). Similar memorial to east with
rococo carving to sides (including head of winged cherub to south), fluted
corner pilasters on south, panelled corner pilasters on north and blank
round-headed inscription panels to ends has partly illegible inscription to
Thomas - (d.1791) on south side. Two C17 monuments to south, northern a low
ridge-backed romb with overhanging verges to gable ends and southern a plain
chest tomb with cavetto-moulded capping. Neither has inscription visible at time
of resurvey (July 1987). The ridge-backed tomb may have provided the inspiration
for Philip Webb's memorial to William Morris (q.v.) in the sane churchyard.
[2361]


Listing NGR: SU2492099356

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.