This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8199 / 52°49'11"N
Longitude: -2.5851 / 2°35'6"W
OS Eastings: 360663
OS Northings: 324870
OS Grid: SJ606248
Mapcode National: GBR 7Q.VGKM
Mapcode Global: WH9CG.8D70
Entry Name: High Hatton Hall
Listing Date: 28 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055388
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260136
Location: Stanton upon Hine Heath, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Stanton upon Hine Heath
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton-upon-Hine Heath St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 62 SW STANTON UPON HINE HIGH HATTON
10/140 High Hatton Hall
Small country house. Dated 1762, probably by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard
(1723-1777) with mid- and late C19 ashlar additions. Red brick with
tooled grey sandstone ashlar plinth; pyramidal slate roof. Square plan.
Three storeys over basement. Chamfered plinth and moulded stone cornice
with blocking course. Central brick stack (rebuilt above roof in late
C20) and probably C19 external lateral stack to north. East (entrance)
front: 1:1:1 bays with central break; glazing bar sashes with gaugued
brick heads and painted stone cills. Two-light stone-mullioned basement
windows, some replaced with C19 two-light wooden casements. Flight
of 5 stone steps (with the remains of wrought-iron balustrade) up to
central 6-panelled door with doorcase consisting of lugged architrave,
pulvinated frieze, and large console brackets supporting moulded cornice
(breaking forward over brackets). South front: 1:3:1 bays; central
full-height semi-octagonal bay. Flanking trompe-1 oeil blind windows.
Lead downpipes in angles of bay have quarter-round rainwater heads with
elephant and castle on each. Rear (garden front): 2:2 bays. Left-
hand ground-floor window with low panelled door below; stone steps up
with plain railings. Datestone in north wall (obscured by later additions:
R P C Pair of C19 two storey gabled service wings to north. Interior:
1762 complete C18 fittings, graded in embellishment from ground
floor to second floor. Entrance hall: plain dado with moulded
rail, and moulded cornice. Staircase rising to second floor; 3 flights
to each floor around rectangular well; open string with pierced cut
brackets, 3 balusters per tread (2 twisted flanking single turned),
ramped moulded handrail, curtail and Tuscan newel posts; ramped dado
panelling with panelled dies. Drawing room: plain dado with rail.
Moulded cornice. Fireplace with lugged architrave, frieze with carved
foliage, and moulded cornice. Two doorcases, each with lugged architrave,
pulvinated frieze, dentil cornice and triangular pediment. Three-bay
screen with unfluted Composite columns and pilasters, each supporting
dosseret with pulvinated bay leaf frieze and modillion cornice with
alternating paterae. Small room off drawing room with plain dado and
fireplace with lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice.
Dining room: plain dado and enriched moulded plaster cornice. Fireplace
with carved lugged architrave, pulvinated oak leaf frieze, carved cornice,
and lugged panel above with Greek key decoration to lower edge. First-
floor landing: moulded dentil cornice. Two doorcases, each with architrave,
frieze with curved ends, and moulded cornice. Central back bedroom:
fireplace with carved lugged architrave, frieze with carved foliage,
and cornice with egg and dart enrichment. Left-hand back bedroom: cornice
with Greek key ornament. Fireplace with lugged architrave, frieze with
carved foliage and central panel, and cornice with bead and reel and
Greek key ornament. Small dressing room off with plain cornice. Second
floor: landing with moulded cornice and doors with plain architraves.
One bedroom has fireplace with lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze,
moulded cornice, and cast-iron grate. Other bedroom has fireplace with
plain panelled pilasters, frieze with central panel, and dentil cornice.
Six-panelled doors and panelled internal window shutters throughout.
Barrel-vaulted cellars. The elephant and castle motif on the rainwater
heads and the initials on the datestone suggest that this house was
built for a member of the Corbet family. Designs exist for a chimneypiece
by T. F. Pritchard at High Hatton. Colvin, p.664.
Listing NGR: SJ6066324870
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings