This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0372 / 51°2'13"N
Longitude: -2.8239 / 2°49'25"W
OS Eastings: 342330
OS Northings: 126748
OS Grid: ST423267
Mapcode National: GBR MF.GSH5
Mapcode Global: FRA 46ZC.TYR
Entry Name: The Hanging Chapel
Listing Date: 17 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263183
Location: Langport, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Langport
Built-Up Area: Langport
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
LANGPORT CP THE HILL
The Hanging Chapel
Gateway spanning road with chapel over, latter now Masonic Lodge. C13 origins, mostly C15 work restored in C19. Local
lias stone roughly cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; chapel has plain clay tiled roof between coped gables with
ball finials. Gateway plain, with chamfered pointed arches to ends of through vault, with one small niche in each side
wall of throughway; one buttress on east side; coped parapet all round to encircle walkway. Chapel apparently much
restored, the east gable being rebuilt over a 3-light semi- circular arched window with possibly C18 tracery; chapel
has angled corner buttresses, and in west wall a moulded pointed arched doorway without label. Extensions on south side
of C19/C20, in stone with flat roof. C19 approach stairs in south west corner, with C20 handrail, up to 3-centre arched
doorway set in archway wall. On north side, against gateway wall in garden of east Gate (qv) a small storehouse in lias
stone, in a C12 style. Interior of chapel not accessible normally. Originally Chantry Chapel of Blessed Virgin Mary,
mentioned 1344, became Town Hall 1596-1600, Langport Grammar School 1706-c1790, then an arms store, a Sunday School,
and private uses until it was leased as a Masonic Lodge in 1891. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset No. 273). (VCH,
vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4214226699
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings