History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel at St Philomenas Convent

A Grade II Listed Building in Carshalton Central, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3649 / 51°21'53"N

Longitude: -0.1701 / 0°10'12"W

OS Eastings: 527486

OS Northings: 164461

OS Grid: TQ274644

Mapcode National: GBR DD.XDZ

Mapcode Global: VHGRK.0YDJ

Entry Name: Chapel at St Philomenas Convent

Listing Date: 1 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065626

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206789

Location: Sutton, London, SM5

County: London

District: Sutton

Electoral Ward/Division: Carshalton Central

Built-Up Area: Sutton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Carshalton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Wallington

Listing Text

POUND STREET
1.
4430
(North-West Side)
CARSHALTON
Chapel at St Philomena's
Convent
TQ 2764 SW 19/159
II
2.
1899 to 1900; designed by E Ingress Bell. Rectangular structure with gabled
roof and tower at south-east end. Brick walls with stone dressings and knapped
flint work. Nave, chancel and East aisle chapel. Entrance front in south gable
end; moulded 2-centred stone doorway; single light window with cusped head to
either side. Higher in the wall face, a stone statue of the Virgin in a niche
with stone canopy over flanked to either side by a window with cusped head, the
whole enclosed by a stone arch. To east and partly to rear, a brick tower with
decorative courses of flint and stone, surmounted by an octagonal lantern and
short broach spire. West front of 8 bays, each marked by a brick pilaster and
hexafoil. Moulded plinth. Toothed brick courses above windows. Triple lancet
window to chancel. Within, an organ loft above vestibule at south end of nave;
pieta in vestibule. Pointed arches and vaulted roof to nave. The walls of nave,
side-aisle and vestibule entirely lined with a finely executed scheme of mosaic
decoration apparently derived in subject matter from Byzantine sources. Chancel
walls, floor and altar table lined with inlaid marble in the Italian style.


Listing NGR: TQ2748664461

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.