History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Medlar-with-Wesham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7903 / 53°47'24"N

Longitude: -2.8855 / 2°53'7"W

OS Eastings: 341762

OS Northings: 433024

OS Grid: SD417330

Mapcode National: GBR 8S9M.31

Mapcode Global: WH85B.NZ5P

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072028

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183611

Location: Medlar-with-Wesham, Fylde, Lancashire, PR4

County: Lancashire

District: Fylde

Civil Parish: Medlar-with-Wesham

Built-Up Area: Kirkham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Wesham Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Kirkham

Listing Text

MEDLAR WITH WESHAM FLEETWOOD ROAD
SD 43 SW
9/41 Christ Church
-
- II

Church, 1893-4, by Paley and Austin, with chancel and steeple 1927. Red brick
with pink sandstone dressings, red tiled roof, green slate cladding to spire.
Nave with low aisles, chancel under same roof, south-west steeple and attached
porch. Decorated style. West gable to road has angle-buttresses, very large
2-centred arched window of 5 full-height lights, parapet with returned end
stepped down to nave on north side; 6-bay nave has chamfered sill-band and 2
sandstone bands run into the window surrounds, large 2-centred arched 3-light
windows with mouchette tracery in the heads, and moulded surrounds and
hoodmoulds of glazed light red brick; low aisles each have two small 2-light
windows with rounded lights; short mono-pitch roofed transeptal chapels at
east end of nave. Continuation of chancel (1927) in matching style and
materials has only an east window: very large, 2-centred arched, 7 lights with
mouchette tracery in the head. Square brick 3-stage tower with 2-light belfry
louvres is finished with sandstone parapet stepped up at the corners, and
carries a small octagonal spire; gabled porch attached on south side of tower
has moulded stone doorway, and a stone parapet. Interior: unusual arcade of
stone piers alternately lacking capitals, the stone continued above the
springing of moulded semi-circular arches in brick; very wide chancel arch
designed in the same fashion, but with the inner moulding rising from a
corbelled stone shaft; wagon,roof carried on shallow trusses of raised
tie-beams with struts and false kingposts.


Listing NGR: SD4176233024

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.