History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Egelwin the Martyr

A Grade II* Listed Building in Scalford, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8093 / 52°48'33"N

Longitude: -0.8695 / 0°52'10"W

OS Eastings: 476297

OS Northings: 324129

OS Grid: SK762241

Mapcode National: GBR BNB.WGP

Mapcode Global: WHFJT.MN45

Entry Name: Church of St Egelwin the Martyr

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075018

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190262

Location: Scalford, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Scalford

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Scalford with Wycombe and Chadwell

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Long Clawson

Listing Text

SCALFORD CHURCH STREET
(North side)
SK 76 24 -7724 Church of St Egelwin the
24/373 Martyr.
1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C15. Tower rebuilt 1639; Chancel rebuilt 1845.
Restored 1858 by Millican and Smith. Chancel, S chancel chapel/organ
chamber, aisled nave, S porch and W tower.
Coursed ironstone rubble and ashlar, with limestone dressings, lead roof,
except for Welsh slate roof to chancel. 2-bay chancel of ashlar has 4-light
Perpendicular-style E window and 2.-light windows N and S with trefoil-
headed lights all with hood moulds.
Chancel has datestone of 1845 above E window, offset angle buttresses and
offset buttresses between S windows and stone-coped E gable with kneelers
and stone cross to apex. Former chancel chapel, now organ chamber,
continues N aisle and has 3-light E window with intersecting tracery and 2-
light window to N with 4-centred head and transom, both with hood moulds.
Nave has 5-window clerestory of 3-light windows with 4-centred heads,
Perpendicular tracery and hood moulds, and battlemented parapet with
crocketed pinnacles to E angles. N aisle has 3-light window to NE with
intersecting tracery, a 3-light window to middle of N wall with pointed
trefoil-headed side lights flanking lancet-shaped central light, a 2-light
window to NW with quatrefoil to head and 1-light W window with C19
Decorated-style tracery. S aisle has battlemented parapet. 3-light E and W
windows with intersecting tracery and 2-light windows to S, that to SE with
quatrefoil in circle to head, the other two with encircled trefoils to
heads. S door has continuous hollow chamfer outermost, shafts and roll-
moulded arch innermost.
Large S porch, formerly 2-storied with parvise and doorway with continuous
chamfer outermost, semi-circular responds innermost with moulded capitals
and hood mould with label stops.
3 inches above doorway with crocketed nodding ogee canopies and continuous
sill with foliage decoration. Porch is flanked by off-set buttresses to
outer angles which have niches to upper section with crocketed nodding ogee
canopies and pointed trefoils to gablets above. 3-stage tower has moulded W
door with basket-arched head and hood mould. 3-light window above has 3
lights, Perpendicular tracery, brattished transom and hood mould. Datestone
to S side below middle stage window with coat of arms and date 1639. 2-
light windows to middle stage with Y tracery and Ogee-arched hood moulds.
2-light paired bell-chamber openings with brattishing transoms and hood
moulds. Offset clasping buttresses, and cusped lozenge frieze to base of
battlemented parapet which has gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles to angles.
Interior: Triple-chamfered chancel arch, polygonal responds and capitals
with stiff-leaf foliage and heads between them. Nave has 5-bay arcades with
circular piers with circular abaci, semi-circular responds, double-chamfered
arches, capitals with stiff-leaf foliage to N and moulded capitals to S.
Former N chancel chapel has trefoil-headed piscina. Two tomb recesses in N
aisle with ballflower Ornament, the outermost cut by polygonal respond of
arch between aisle and chapel. S aisle has trefoil-headed piscina. Tall
double-chamfered tower arch, chamfer continuous outermost polygonal responds
innermost.
Circular C19 alabaster and marble font with terracotta plaques. Clock
mechanism of 1750, mounted in S aisle.

Monuments: Brass of 1520 with kneeling gentleman and indent for his wife.
Brass plaque in chancel to Elizabeth Bardsey d.1624. Brass plaque in S
aisle with coat of arms to Edward Darker d.1651.
Buildings of England Leics 1984 p. 368.9.


Listing NGR: SK7629724129

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.