History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bretforton Grange

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bretforton, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0959 / 52°5'45"N

Longitude: -1.8754 / 1°52'31"W

OS Eastings: 408630

OS Northings: 244176

OS Grid: SP086441

Mapcode National: GBR 3LF.DPV

Mapcode Global: VHB0V.FLW5

Entry Name: Bretforton Grange

Listing Date: 30 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1081603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 148623

Location: Bretforton, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR11

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Bretforton

Built-Up Area: Bretforton

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Bretforton

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
South Littleton

Listing Text

BRETFORTON CP -
SP 0844 - SP 0944

13/21 Bretforton Grange


30.7.59
GV II*


Shown on OS map as Grange Farm.
Monastic grange, now house. Early C14, remodelled and extended 1635,
with some late C20 alterations. Coursed lias rubble with ashlar dressings,
Cotswold stone and tile roof. C14 range aligned north/south, subsidiary
(service) range extending west from southern corner has stacks at both ends;
C17 wing projects to south from latter range with central stack. East front:
C14 range to right of two storeys with gable-lit attic, stone coped verges
and stepped buttresses. External staircase of C20 to right-hand side; to
left; two 3-light C17 stone mullioned windows. C17 wing set back to left
with stair turret in angle, two storeys high, 2-light window to first floor;
entrance to right has a C20 stone gabled porch. To left-hand corner an
entrance (now window) with triangular head, and a square label, the stops
of which bear the inscription "WC 1635". Interior: C17 staircase with massive
turned balusters and moulded handrail. Roof of C14 range is of common rafter
construction, each couple having an arch-braced collar and vertical ashlar
pieces. Ground floor of this range is an early C14 undercroft divided into
four bays by simple chamfered ribs. (Bond, C J: "The Estates of Evesham Abbey:
a preliminary survey of their medieval topography", Vale of Evesham Historical
Society Research Papers, Vol 4, 1973, pp 10-11; VCH, 2, pp 359-360; BoE, p 100).


Listing NGR: SP0863044176

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.