History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Calcot Farm Barn, and Barn Adjoining on North End

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingscote, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6537 / 51°39'13"N

Longitude: -2.2331 / 2°13'59"W

OS Eastings: 383968

OS Northings: 195011

OS Grid: ST839950

Mapcode National: GBR 1NQ.684

Mapcode Global: VH95B.7PSN

Entry Name: Calcot Farm Barn, and Barn Adjoining on North End

Listing Date: 6 September 1954

Last Amended: 16 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089706

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130411

Location: Kingscote, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Kingscote

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Newington Bagpath with Kingscote

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Kingscote

Listing Text

KINGSCOTE A4135
ST 89 NW and
ST 89 SW (off north side)
2/96 and 6/96 Calcot Farm Barn, and barn
adjoining on north end
6.9.54
II

Former tithe barn of Kingswood Abbey. Built 1300 by Abbot Henry
of Kingswood, rebuilt 1729 - both dates recorded on inscription
stones in porch on east side - much altered in C20. Rubble stone
with simple plain buttresses all round, originally with stone slate
roof removed in 1927 and replaced with corrugated material. Barn
to north retains stone slate roof. An illustration in The
Gentleman's Magazine of 1795, shows a steeply pitched roof and 2
swept pyramidal-roofed opposed projecting porches, and a pointed
arched loft door in south gable end. Doorway remains but pitch of
roof greatly lowered and opposed porches now both gabled, that to
west also blocked. Barn generally in dilapidated condition at
time of survey (March 1986). Inscription stone of rebuilding
reads,"This BARN was Burnt Down by / LIGHTNING October 9th 1728 /
Was Rebuilt, at the Cost of / THOMAS ESTCOURT, Esq; / By John Pill
Carpenter: / Finished October 20th 1729". Taller barn on north
side probably of late C18 has connecting doorway with tithe barn.
Three plain buttresses to west with framed narrow ventilators and
shuttered pitch hole. Six bays, one king post truss, rest 2
collar beams, interior concreted up to about 3m.


Listing NGR: ST8396895011

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.