This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6327 / 51°37'57"N
Longitude: -2.2726 / 2°16'21"W
OS Eastings: 381230
OS Northings: 192687
OS Grid: ST812926
Mapcode National: GBR 0MJ.N7Q
Mapcode Global: VH95H.K7F7
Entry Name: Group of 3 Monuments in the Churchyard Approximately 2 Metres South of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090041
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129590
Location: Boxwell with Leighterton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Boxwell with Leighterton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: BoxwellSt Mary the Virgin and Leighterton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BOXWELL WITH BOXWELL VILLAGE
ST 89 SW
1/8 Group of 3 monuments in the
churchyard approximately 2m south
of Church of St. Mary
Described from north to south.
Tall chest tomb. Dated 1706. Limestone. Gadrooned corner
balusters. Urn to west end, mutilated cartouche to east. Large
Rococo cartouche on south side; inscription panel with square
projections to corners to north. Cyma moulded top and base.
Inscribed on north side to PAUNCEFOOT MILLER, died 1706.
Pedestal tomb. Dated 1751. Limestone. Rectangular with moulded
ends having paterae in frieze. Hooded mourner with broken oak and
scull on recessed west end; winged figure of death to east holding
hour-glass over urn. Finely carved returns to ends; large and
delicately carved Rococo cartouche to south side with 2 cherub's
heads in upper spandrels; inscription shield on swag backing to
north side. Cyma moulded top; hollow mouldings above low base
plinth. Inscription illegible.
Chest tomb. Mid-late C17. Limestone. Lyre ended with cartouche
to west end and bold oval wreath to east. Rectangular moulded
inscription panel on north side flanked by scrolls; similar on
south but with mutilated niche to right. Cavetto moulded top;
cyma moulded base. Inscriptions illegible.
Listing NGR: ST8123092687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings