History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Boxwell with Leighterton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6328 / 51°37'58"N

Longitude: -2.2726 / 2°16'21"W

OS Eastings: 381226

OS Northings: 192698

OS Grid: ST812926

Mapcode National: GBR 0MJ.N7P

Mapcode Global: VH95H.K7D4

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 6 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154676

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129589

Location: Boxwell with Leighterton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Boxwell with Leighterton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: BoxwellSt Mary the Virgin and Leighterton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Kingscote

Listing Text

BOXWELL WITH BOXWELL VILLAGE
ST 89 SW
LEIGHTERTON
1/7 Church of St. Mary

GV II*

6.9.54
Parish church. C13 with early C14 north aisle; chancel largely
rebuilt early C20. Coursed rubble and ashlar limestone; stone
slate roof. Nave with north aisle; south porch and chancel. C13
pointed-arched south doorway with chamfered archivolt and
hoodmould; C18 6-panel fielded door; arched stoup in wall to
right. Parapet-gabled south porch with offset buttresses flush to
south face; moulded pointed-arched opening with hoodmould;
internal stone seats and arched braced roof. Nave window to left
is C19 two-light with trefoil heads in square opening with
hoodmould; C19 two-light to right of porch with narrow C19 single-
light further right. C13 or early C14 bellcote surmounts parapet
gable at east end of nave, having octagonal conical top on 4
supporting stone posts, those to east and west being bracketed out
from base; grotesque carved head at each corner of base. Parapet-
gabled west end with large early-mid C14 three-light window having
intersecting tracery and hoodmould. Parapet-gabled chancel with 2-
light east window having quatrefoil tracery; lancets in side
walls. C20 ovolo-moulded 2-light square-headed window in north
aisle toward east end.
Interior: nave and chancel both limewashed. Nave dominated by
early C14 three-bay aisle arcade with octagonal piers. C20
restored collar-truss nave roof; plain lean-to roof to aisle.
Chamfered archivolt to plain C13 chancel arch with single corbel
above and to left. Squint from north aisle to left. Royal arms
painted over chancel arch are of William after death of Mary, but
initials and date overpainted to read: 'A.R. 1702'. C20 rebuilt
chancel has timber panelled ceiling, and C20 restored piscina and
credence shelf in south wall. Timber brattished rail below east
window with Morris and Co. hangings below. Early C17 chancel rail
with turned balusters. Octagonal stone font of c1300 with panelled
sides and pedestal with attached clustered column shafts. Three
C15 pews at west end of nave have crude ball flower-decorated ends
and are all that survive from complete set known to exist c1900.
Many memorials to Huntley family of Boxwell Court (q.v.). At west
end of nave marble memorial to Rev. RICHARD HUNTLEY, MA, died 1831,
by Cook of Gloucester has obelisk ground and shrouded urn; tablet
to right with shrouded urn over to EDMUND HUNTLEY, died 1803. To
left of south doorway memorial tablet with bolection moulding and
scrolled pediment over to REVD. RD. HUNTLEY, MA, died 1728, by
TYLEY of Bristol. Memorial on each spandrel of arcade, left to
ELIZABETH GLASSE, died 1757, has flaming urn over broken pediment;
right to ELIZABETH JOHNSON, DIED 1775 and MATTHEW HUNTLEY, died
1768, has fluted pilasters with open pediment and paterae in
frieze. Church stands in very secluded position adjacent to
Boxwell Court. (J.F.B. Huntley, Church Guide, 1970; and D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)


Listing NGR: ST8122692698

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.