History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edward

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hawling, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.905 / 51°54'17"N

Longitude: -1.9099 / 1°54'35"W

OS Eastings: 406293

OS Northings: 222939

OS Grid: SP062229

Mapcode National: GBR 3NP.HY9

Mapcode Global: VHB1S.VD50

Entry Name: Church of St Edward

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091850

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134805

Location: Hawling, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Hawling

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hawling St Edward

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hawling

Listing Text

HAWLING HAWLING VILLAGE
SP 02 SE
9/24 Church of St Edward
4.7.60
GV II*
Parish Church. Early C13, probably C15, C16, circa 1764, restored
late C19. Tower and north nave stone approaching ashlar, south
nave and porch a mixture of rubble and squared stone; chancel
coursed, squared stone in thin courses; stone slate roof. Nave,
chancel, western tower, south porch. South facade: 2-stage
tower, very small square-set buttresses to west, to nave eaves
level, pedestal and hood for statue between; above clasping
pilaster up each corner to top, string course. Trefoil-headed
lancet with stone louvres and crocketed hoodmould; gargoyle off-
centre to right on moulded string course, battlemented parapet,
corner pilasters. Nave: short length of string course at west;
lancet, trefoiled ogee head with pierced spandrels, flat head and
hoodmould. To right porch, boarded door, double chamfer to
opening, 4-centre head, sunk spandrels, hoodmould; simple sundial
without gnomon over. Parapet gable with cross-gablet apex
carrying cross. To right plinth to nave, 4-light mullioned
window, king mullion, hollow chamfers, flat head, relieving arch
over. At east end gable projects slightly as pilaster. Plain,
projecting stone eaves; parapet gables, eastern finished as porch.
Chancel plain, eaves and parapet gable as nave. East facade:
plinth, Venetian window in ashlar, with Roman Doric pilasters,
plain glass in leaded lights. North elevation, chancel as south
but with plinth. Nave plinth, wide pilaster buttress east end,
two 2-light C18 windows, plain stone surrounds, semi-circular heads
each light with plain impost blocks and keystones. To right wall
thickened slightly as pilaster, vertical joint, with string course
in right half only. Eaves as south; octagonal chimney rising
from eaves in centre, moulded cap. To right, tower as south.
West elevation, tower as south, but with arched window with
hoodmould in lower part, semi-circular head to opening within arch,
C18 leaded lights. Above lancet with ogee hoodmould, wooden
louvres: small carving set just below, probably a coat of arms.
Interior: stone benches each side in porch: boarded door, nook
shafts with keel moulding, trumpet capital left, leaf carving
right; roll moulding outside. Four-centred arch below flat
lintel with hollow chamfer. Interior of church plastered, except
for nave east wall, wide arch with no capitals. Walkways paved
Minton tiles. Three-bay nave roof, collar trusses with curved
braces, king posts and angle struts, one pair purlins. Chancel,
separate octagonal pillars to inside of Venetian window; 3-bay
roof, arch-braced collar trusses. Boarded barrel vault to tower
base. Octagonal wooden pulpit, panelled sides, moulded ledge,
turned balusters to handrail to steps. Simple wooden pew ends.
Octagonal wine-glass stone font with trefoils to bowl. Three
memorial slabs in chancel floor; 5 mid C17 brass plaques in nave
to Stratford family, 2 late C17 in chancel; 3 early C19 marble
wall monuments. Chancel rebuilt circa 1764, and north wall nave;
restoration after 1873 included new roof to whole church, chancel
arch and floor tiling. Forms group with Manor House and Old
Rectory (q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970; Cotswold
Churches, 1976).


Listing NGR: SP0629322939

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.