This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8233 / 51°49'23"N
Longitude: 0.1533 / 0°9'11"E
OS Eastings: 548498
OS Northings: 216040
OS Grid: TL484160
Mapcode National: GBR LCZ.PKX
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.LFWN
Entry Name: Three Mile Pond Farmhouse (400 Yards North of Bull Public House)
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160752
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
Three Mile Pond Farmhouse
(400 yds N of Bull PH)
TL 484 160:4/9 6.6.52
C16 with Cl7 additions. 2 bay 2 storey timberframed house of high quality,
plastered under steep old red tile roof. Massive external gable chimney to
E in red brick with engaged shafts and crow stepped gable. Mullioned wooden
windows with diamond leaded lights and iron casements. Interior timbers
exposed. Framed cross partition with tension bracing at 1st floor. Axial
beams and every joist chamfered and stopped. Tension bracing to corners on
1st floor. Plank doors hung on iron pins. Older entrance by plank door on
S side. Present entrance by plank door with fluted carved panel on N side.
Cl7 single storey kitchen extension to E gable. Timberframe with old red
tile roof hipped to E with gable chimney, now pierced by doorway. 3 light
mullioned window on N with leaded glazing. Ceiled under collars. Taller
late C17 parlour block extending W to roadside. Timberframe plastered.
Steep old tile roof hipped to W and half-hipped to E. Hipped dormer on W
slope. 2 high storeys, cellar and attic. Large internal chimney divides
rooms from staircase to E. Timber boxed eaves with broad timber cove. Iron
gutters with lion masks. Eaves cove breaks forward over 3 windows to 1st
floor on S and N sides. C17 tall 2-light mullioned and transomed 'cross'
windows with rectangular leaded glazing and iron casements. Central and E
window on N side blocked. Single window on each side to Gd floor parlour.
This room is panelled in pine with small panels and scratch moulded framing.
Moulded 6 panel door with raised and fielded panels, H-hinges, elaborate
moulded architrave. Corner cupboard (SW) with fluted pilasters, semi-domed
head and shaped shelves. A different corner cupboard (NW) with fluted
pilasters and glazed door with intersecting bars. Raised and fielded door
to lower part. Some C19 woodwork to N of fireplace. Well stair with
newels, heavy balusters and moulded handrail swept at quarter landings.
Upper floor has 2 panel doors with raised and fielded panels and iron
hinges. A-frame roof with ten one butt purlins. Tall parlour block is a
prominent landmark. (RCHM (1911) 204:VCH III (1912) 332).
Listing NGR: TL4849816040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings