History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Helen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brigsley, North East Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4981 / 53°29'53"N

Longitude: -0.11 / 0°6'36"W

OS Eastings: 525467

OS Northings: 401813

OS Grid: TA254018

Mapcode National: GBR WWNZ.ZR

Mapcode Global: WHHJ5.8BVN

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Listing Date: 4 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103490

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164381

Location: Brigsley, North East Lincolnshire, DN37

County: North East Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Brigsley

Built-Up Area: Brigsley

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Brigsley St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Ashby cum Fenby

Listing Text



HUMBERSIDE
CLEETHORPES
5263

TA 20 SE BRIGSLEY CHURCH LANE
(east side)
7/16
4.1.67
Church of Saint Helen

GV II*

Parish church. C11 tower with C14 - C15 windows and parapet, C13 blocked
nave arcades, C14 - C15 clerestory, early C14 chancel. Alterations of 1796
included removal of aisles, inserting west door and refitting interior. C19
- C20 restorations, including chancel in 1961, repairs to chancel arch.1985.
Tower: ironstone rubble and squared blocks, bands of cobbles, limestone and
chalk to upper section of first stage; limestone ashlar dressings, facing to
second stage and parapet. Nave: squared ironstone, ironstone and limestone
ashlar, cement rendered to lower sections; brick blocking to south, brick to
east gable. Chancel: squared ironstone and limestone to east side and lower
sections of north and south sides, with squared chalk above. Slate roof to
nave, pantiles to chancel. West tower with west entrance, nave with blocked
3-bay south arcade and blocked 2-bay north arcade, 2-bay chancel. 2-stage
tower: buttresses adjoining nave; inserted square-headed door in rendered
surround beneath C20 concrete lintel, pointed traceried 2-light west window
with hoodmould and blocked slit window above, moulded stringcourse. Pointed
2-light traceried belfry openings with hoodmoulds, moulded stringcourse with
angle gargoyles and coped embattled parapet. Nave: buttresses between bays;
sections of blocked north arcade visible with re-set pointed C15 window to
left with C18 Gothick glazing and leaded lights; three C19 - C20 square-
headed wooden 3-light north windows with leaded lights. Two square-headed
2-light clerestory windows. Chancel: chamfered plinth, blocked pointed
chamfered south door with head missing; pointed 2-light south windows with
hoodmoulds, one with partly restored geometrical tracery, the other with
restored reticulated tracery; similar north windows with plain restored
tracery. Pointed 3-light east window with partly-restored intersecting
tracery and hoodmould. Interior: tall round-headed chamfered tower arch
with 2 orders of voussoirs and plain imposts, line of former nave roof
visible above. Lower sections of nave arcade piers partly exposed: shafted
or quatrefoil centre pier to north, two piers to south with 4 shafts and 4
hollows. C19 - C20 double-chamfered chancel arch with brick and plaster
blocking exposed in building work at time of resurvey. Chancel has pointed
chamfered piscina to south with corbelled bowl, and tall triangular-headed
aumbry or niche to north with mutilated raised chamfered surround. Mid C18
black marble floorslab to Richard Cressy (died 1746) and other members of
family, with ornate carved arms in recess. Medieval octagonal font on tall
shaft with moulded plinth and base. C18 fittings include: panelled
octagonal pulpit with a pair of fluted pilasters supporting an octagonal
tester with cornice; communion rails with column-on-vase balusters with
square knops, fielded panelling to east wall; half-glazed door to tower arch
with Chinese fret glazed panel above two fielded-panels, blocked former
tower arch gallery with balustrade similar to altar rails. Painted
commandment boards, Royal Arms of 1819 by G Stout of Grimsby. N Pevsner and
J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 198-9.


Listing NGR: TA2546701813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.