This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6598 / 51°39'35"N
Longitude: 0.629 / 0°37'44"E
OS Eastings: 581932
OS Northings: 198943
OS Grid: TQ819989
Mapcode National: GBR QMV.XGV
Mapcode Global: VHJKJ.VJCY
Entry Name: Wellinditch Farmhouse
Listing Date: 30 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117439
Location: Stow Maries, Maldon, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Stow Maries
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Stow Maries St Mary and St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
STW MARIES CROWS LANE
TQ 89 NW
4/114 Wellinditch Farmhouse
House. Early C17. Red brick in English bond, cement-rendered, and some timber
framing with weatherboarding, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Rectangular
plan facing S, with axial stack near right end and C20 external stack to left.
Reduced to a lean-to roof at right end. 2 storeys. 3-window range of C20
casements. C20 door in gabled porch. The rear elevation has 4 C20 casements on
the ground floor and 3 on the first floor. The brick walls are of exceptional
height and thickness, fully plastered inside except the left gable; the windows
are set back in deep reveals. There are small clasping buttresses at the 2 left
corners, and a string course on the left half of the front elevation, continuing
round the left return, all rendered over. The right gable is timber framed and
weatherboarded. Chamfered transverse and axial beams with lamb's tongue stops
at both storeys, joists plastered to the soffits. Large wood-burning hearth
facing to left, altered in C20. Butt-purlin roof, reinforced after war damage.
A rental of c.1616 refers to 'Wellinditche with a newly built house, 14 acres
and appurtenances' and a sale catalogue of 1819 describes 'a roomy brick built
farmhouse' (Essex Record Office, D/DK M.140 and B.1353).
Listing NGR: TQ8193298943
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings