This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5168 / 51°31'0"N
Longitude: -0.1266 / 0°7'35"W
OS Eastings: 530081
OS Northings: 181432
OS Grid: TQ300814
Mapcode National: GBR HB.QF
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.R4DJ
Entry Name: James Smith and Sons, Hazelwood House
Listing Date: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477595
Location: Camden, London, WC1A
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081SW NEW OXFORD STREET
798-1/105/1206 (South side)
James Smith and Sons, Hazelwood
Shop with offices/workshop over on a corner site. Mid C19.
Erected as part of the laying out of New Oxford Street under
the supervision of Sir James Pennethorne, Surveyor of Works to
the Crown. Stucco, channelled to 1st floor, 2nd & 3rd floor
with long and short quoins which continue on corner as
channelled stucco; 2nd floor, guilloche enriched band. Slate
mansard roof with dormers.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and attic. 5 windows, single window corner
and single window right hand return. Fine ground floor
shopfront, c1870s, mahogany with plate glass windows having
inscribed painted glass battered stallboards, with brass
fascia plates, and top panels. Battered cornice fascia of
painted glass inscribed "Established 1830" above entrance,
flanked by "James Smith & Sons"; surmounted by cast-iron
trefoil pattern cresting with central painted glass pediment
inscribed "Hazelwood House" flanked by numbers "53". Central
recessed entrance surrounded by panels of inscribed painted
and engraved glass, that above with 2 crossed flags; double
part-glazed panelled doors with wrought-iron guard gates.
Office door to left; panelled with overlight. 1st floor has
recessed sashes. 2nd floor with pilasters, paired to central
bay, supporting a 3rd floor cornice. Pilasters flank tall
round-arched sashes, architraved with mask keystones above
impost bands, and balustraded window guards; central window of
Venetian type. 3rd floor pilaster strips flank square-headed
sashes; central window flanked by recessed panels and paired
pilaster strips. Simplified entablature and blocking course.
Relief applied lettering to upper floors reading on
entablature "STICKS", 3rd floor "JAS. SMITH & SONS", 2nd floor
"UMBRELLAS". Chamfered corner continues window with inscribed
glass pediment to ground floor; upper floors with channelled
stucco and square-headed sashes in front of which applied
lettering reading "UMBRELLAS". Single window return similar to
the central bay.
INTERIOR: of ground floor has showcases and counters of a
typical high-class late Victorian or Edwardian shop and as
such is a rare survival in London.
HISTORICAL NOTE: since 1867 the ground floor of the building
has been occupied by the firm of James Smith & Sons, umbrellas
makers. New Oxford Street was a very fashionable shopping
street in the mid C19.
Listing NGR: TQ3008181432
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings