History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coggeshall House

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8736 / 51°52'24"N

Longitude: 0.6905 / 0°41'25"E

OS Eastings: 585306

OS Northings: 222864

OS Grid: TL853228

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.FDP

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.X5CK

Entry Name: Coggeshall House

Listing Date: 9 December 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123135

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116108

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET
(south-east side)

9/76 No. 82 (Coggeshall
19.7.82 House)

GV II

House. C14 and C16, altered in 1897. Timber framed, plastered with exposed
imitation framing, partly clad with red brick in Flemish bond with stone
dressings. Main range facing NW with axial stacks at right end and to right of
centre, and internal rear stack near left end. Lower one-bay range to right,
and C19 lean-to extension beyond, weatherboarded with slate roof. Large
extension to rear left in Tudor style. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 3 sashes with
chamfered stone surrounds and hood moulds of brick, 1897. First floor, 3 square
oriels of 3 transomed lights, each on 4 plain brackets, with rectangular
leading, gabled roofs, carved bargeboards, pendants and finials, 1897. Also 3
casements with rectangular leading. The main door, to left of centre, has 4
linenfold panels, a Tudor head with carved spandrels and moulded stone surround,
1897. Plain door at right end of main range, with plain overlight and double-
chamfered stone surround. Carved wooden fascia, 1897. Both roofs hipped. 2
octagonal shafts in Tudor style on each stack. Carved bargeboards, finial and
pendant, 1897, on right gable of main range. The front elevation is clad with
brick up to first-floor level, probably indicating a full-length jetty,
underbuilt, and above, imitation framing in early C17 West Midlands style. The
whole house has been altered in Tudor style, outside and inside, in 1897, and
little of the original framing is visible. Jowled posts in both ranges.
Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops in both ranges, late C16. The
short right range has exposed plain joists of horizontal section, and deep wall
bracing of ogee curvature trenched into the studs, similar to that of No. 30,
Church Street (item 9/61, q.v.). The main range has original framing exposed in
the upper part of one cross-wall, with near-straight bracing trenched into the
studs.


Listing NGR: TL8530622864

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.