This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8021 / 51°48'7"N
Longitude: 0.571 / 0°34'15"E
OS Eastings: 577367
OS Northings: 214625
OS Grid: TL773146
Mapcode National: GBR PJQ.TDQ
Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.VY7V
Entry Name: Terling Place
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123407
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115453
Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Terling
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2018
Mansion. 1772-73 by John Johnson for John Strutt, M.P., altered c.1818-24. Grey brick in Flemish bond, with limestone dressings, roofed with slate. Originally of double pile plan facing southeast with two internal stacks symmetrically arranged, of three storeys. Altered 1818-24, probably by Thomas Hopper, for Colonel Joseph Strutt.
Two-storey extensions to the southwest elevation enclosed a recessed porch and converted this to the entrance elevation. Long wings of one storey and attics extend obliquely forwards (to north-north-east and west-south-west). Northwest elevation, four-window range of early C19 sashes of 12 lights with crown glass, and on the second floor of the main block seven sashes of six lights. Double half glazed doors with niche to each side in recessed porch, with two Tuscan columns and entablature. Moulded cornice and plain parapet to, entrance wings, modillioned cornice and plain parapet to main block. Low-pitched hipped roof concealed by parapet.
Southeast (garden) elevation, 2:3:2 range of sashes of 12 lights with crown glass, and on the second floor seven sashes of six lights, all with flat arches of gauged brick. Central part set slightly forward, the original central door altered to a window, with three round arches with moulded keystones, and on the first floor four Ionic attached columns (forming part of the 1818-24 alterations), stone band below sills of first floor windows, and modillioned pediment and cornice and plain parapet. A mid C19 conservatory, with glazed margins joined the formerly freestanding west wing to the main house, was demolished in 2015. The side elevations have five-window ranges of sashes of 12 lights with crown glass, and on the second floor five sashes of six lights; similar band, cornice and parapet.
Central staircase hall altered c.1818-24 to form a two storey neo-Greek saloon, with gallery all round, and bowed wrought iron balustrade. Below the balustrade a frieze of plaster casts of the Elgin marbles by Westmacott. Mahogany panelled doors, consoled doorcases, the latter marbled by W.M. Leake, c.1845. On the gallery, wooden Ionic columns (and one of cast iron, forming a flue), also marbled. Dished and moulded ceiling, panelled ceilings around gallery. A simple dog-leg stair outside the saloon replaces the original E-plan stair, re-using Johnson's wrought iron scrolled and foliated balusters with honeysuckle terminals. White marble fireplaces, low-relief plasterwork with husk garlands, honeysuckle and paterae, dentilled cornices and folding shutters.
This is Johnson's first known domestic building, the first brick laid 30 March 1772, the house occupied 26 November 1773 (Nancy Briggs, unpublished lecture to the Georgian Group, 1983, and Essex Record Office, D/DRa E.45). The third Lord Rayleigh established a laboratory in the west wing (since gutted by fire) and there first identified argon in 1894, for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Science in 1904.
Listing NGR: TL7736714625
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings