History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Euny

A Grade II* Listed Building in Redruth, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2259 / 50°13'33"N

Longitude: -5.2383 / 5°14'17"W

OS Eastings: 169121

OS Northings: 41232

OS Grid: SW691412

Mapcode National: GBR Z3.DT8B

Mapcode Global: VH12K.5L25

Entry Name: Church of St Euny

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161605

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66806

Location: Redruth, Cornwall, TR15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Redruth

Built-Up Area: Redruth

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Redruth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Redruth

Listing Text

REDRUTH CHURCH TOWN
SW 64 SE
5/252 Church of St Euny
1.12.51

GV II*
Parish church. Late C15 tower, otherwise all rebuilt 1758, restored 1878,
1925 and 1958. Granite ashlar, slate roof. West tower; nave, aisles and
chancel in one, under 3-span roof. The tall Perpendicular 3-stage tower has
set-back buttresses, a moulded plinth, a prominent moulded band at ground
floor and weathered bands above; the west doorway, Tudor-arched under a
square, has carved spandrels and deeply moulded surround, and a deep
hoodmould; a 2-centred arched 3-light window above the door, with Tudor-
arched lights, hollow-moulded surround, and hoodmould; the 3rd stage has 3-
light belfry windows with simple Perpendicular tracery in the heads, and
stone louvres; 2 figured gargoyles above each belfry window, and a carved
winged figure at each corner; embattled parapet with crocketed corner
pinnacles raised on slender turrets which have foiled panels. The aisles,
in simple Georgian style, of 5 bays and externally of 2 unequal storeys,
have a low 1st floor band, and symmetrically-arranged segmental-headed
openings with keystones: doorways in the 1st and 5th bays (with panelled
doors), short windows in the intermediate bays at ground floor, and tall
windows in all bays above, mostly sashed and with many small panes but some
of those at ground floor replaced with stained glass (and that in the
centre of the north side with 2 stone mullions); modillioned eaves
cornices, and coped gables. The triple-gabled east end has matching
fenestration to the aisles, and a Venetian window in the wider centre.
Interior: double-chamfered 2-centred tower arch with semi-octagonal
responds which have foiled panels; otherwise, the C18 church is a single
vessel with 5-bay aisle colonnades of Tuscan columns on tall stylobates,
and with square entablatures supporting heavily-moulded longitudinal beams
to a panelled flat ceiling; various C19 wall monuments; and at the west end
of the north aisle, framed painted Arms of George III.


Listing NGR: SW6912141232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.