History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block on South of Upper Courtyard at Pishiobury Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7995 / 51°47'58"N

Longitude: 0.1454 / 0°8'43"E

OS Eastings: 548035

OS Northings: 213379

OS Grid: TL480133

Mapcode National: GBR LDC.1LB

Mapcode Global: VHHM7.G1RC

Entry Name: Stable Block on South of Upper Courtyard at Pishiobury Park

Listing Date: 6 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176781

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160838

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sheering

Listing Text

PISHIOBURY DRIVE
1.
5253
(East End)
Stable Block on S
side of upper
courtyard at
Pishiobury Park
TL 480 133:6/31 6.6.52
II* GV
2.
Late C16, probably 1580-90 as stables to brick courtyard house of Sir Walter
Mildmay to N. Very long old red brick stable block parallel to house but
set across the slope with access from upper courtyard to N. 2 storeys with
plinth, projecting band of 3 courses about 1st floor level rising to a
blunt point over each Gd floor window. Projecting eaves courses with top
course carried on alternate projecting headers. Gable parapet with axed
brick corbelled kneelers. Brick on edge raking coping to gable parapet at
W end but half round coping over tile course at E end. Steep pitched roof
covered in concrete tiles with C18 central wooden cupola. Original 1st
floor window on N side is 2 light ovolo moulded timber mullioned window
recessed 1" from outer face. Window spacing disregards that of roof
principals. Single storey C17/C18 brick extension on E end with hipped
queen strut roof. W gable shows blocked window opening central on 1st floor
with small blind circular recess above. Inserted gable chimneys. All the
floor beams are concealed by later casing. In W part, a wide straight
staircase mounts to 1st floor and the original roof structure has corresponding
close set trusses over. The 1st floor was originally open to the splendid
roof of oak ogee arched braced trusses with upper collars, butt purlins,
strainer purlins at half bay spans and flat laid rafters tenoned into the
single purlin on each slope. The roof shows evidence of being plastered
up the slopes and under the main collars. The roof is designed to carry a
central louvre or fl├Ęche in the position of the C18 cupola. A ceiling has
been inserted with chamfered and ogee stopped cross-beams presumably C17.
Short rear C18 red brick extension as coach house under 3 parallel
hipped slate roofs. C18 mounting block near end of N side with 3 Portland
stone steps up to landing. C18 central cupola in 3 stages. Base of slate
hanging in white wooden surround topped by broad cove painted white. Middle
stage square with corner pilasters and full entablature. Large clock faces
to N, E and W, blank black area on S. Upper stage a circular lantern with
6 free standing Doric columns having square abaci supporting a dentilled
entablature and low lead covered dome. A large bronze bell is hung from
the underside of the dome. A graceful centre piece to a remarkable
building. The original usage seems to have been stabling on the Gd floor
with lodgings on the 1st floor in 2 large dormitories with superior
accommodation at each end beyond a staircase. Attached to the NW corner
of the stable block and running N is the high red brick screen wall to the
upper courtyard with a gateway flanked by piers. Wall in irregular header
bond possibly contemporary with stable block. Gate piers probably C18 with
projecting plinth and gate rebate inside. White stone ball finials on
elaborate square moulded caps. The building is the principal survivor of
the 1580-90 building period at Pishiobury and retains much of its original
construction, design and character. (RCHM (1911) 203-4: Pevsner 2nd Rev
Ed (1977) 271).


Listing NGR: TL4803513379

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.