History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leicester, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6372 / 52°38'13"N

Longitude: -1.232 / 1°13'55"W

OS Eastings: 452072

OS Northings: 304658

OS Grid: SK520046

Mapcode National: GBR 8MB.MCC

Mapcode Global: WHDJ9.1ZM4

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 7 October 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177204

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188963

Location: Kirby Muxloe, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Kirby Muxloe

Built-Up Area: Leicester

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Kirby Muxloe St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Glenfield

Listing Text

KIRBY MUXLOE MAIN STREET
SK 50 SW
4/41 Church of St Bartholomew
7.10.57
GV II*
Parish church. Early C13 with C14 and C15 alterations to tower. Very much
restored 1849 and 1857-8, with further restorations to tower 1891. Vestry/ organ
chamber added 1927. Granite and slate rubble with limestone dressings and some
ashlar facing to tower. Swithland slate roofs. Nave, south tower, chancel,
north vestry/organ chamber. C19 off-set buttresses and gable copings. Y-tracery
windows in double hollow-chamfered surrounds with hoodmoulds, all renewed C19.
Nave has 3-light west window with carved heads at stops and apex, 3 bays of 2-
light windows to north, and 2 similar windows to south. South tower is of 2
stages with moulded string and eaves, pyramidal roof and weathercock. Short
diagonal buttresses. Late C14-C15 bell-chamber with 2-light traceried openings
and single cusped ogee lights below. South door, through tower, has moulded
2-centred arch with hoodmould. Small C20 boiler room in south west angle between
tower and nave. Chancel has 2-light window to north, 2 more to south along with
a transomed low-side window and a blocked door, and 3-light east window. Vestry
is gabled to north and has matching windows and north door. Interior: C19 roofs,
that to nave with scissor trusses on carved foliage corbels; double-chamfered
chancel arch with inner order on semi-octagonal piers; small arched niche in
south wall of nave; small arched piscina in chancel; 2 arches to vestry and organ
chamber. Fittings are all C19-C20, and include a carved stone reredos with panels
for texts; and early C20 glass. Wall tablet in chancel to Francis St John 1732,
with broken pediment.


Listing NGR: SK5207204658

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.