This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9781 / 52°58'41"N
Longitude: -2.4027 / 2°24'9"W
OS Eastings: 373057
OS Northings: 342380
OS Grid: SJ730423
Mapcode National: GBR 7Y.JJWL
Mapcode Global: WH9BS.2D4S
Entry Name: Church of Saint Leonard
Listing Date: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260453
Location: Woore, Shropshire, CW3
Civil Parish: Woore
Built-Up Area: Woore
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Woore St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 74 SW WOORE C.P. NANTWICH ROAD (north-
3/147 Church of Saint Leonard
Parish church. 1830-1, by George Ernest Hamilton of Stone. Internally
restored and chancel added or rebuilt in 1887. Tower added in 1910,
by Chapman and Snape of Newcastle. Rendered brick with slate roof.
5-bay nave with small one-bay chancel and west tower. Nave: plinth,
cill band, impost band, panelled pilaster strips with bases and moulded
capitals and continuous frieze and moulded eaves cornice. Triangular-
pedimented gable and with deep eaves, and cross at apex to east. Integral
brick stack in south-west corner. Round-arched small-paned windows.
Chancel: plinth, cill string, panelled pilasters, frieze and moulded
eaves cornice, and triangular-pedimented gable end with circular grille
in tympanum and cross at apex. Tripartite east window with continuous
cill and round-arched centre light. C20 flat-roofed vestry to north.
Tower: 3 stages. First stage to west of 3 bays with plinth, cill string
and panelled pilasters supporting frieze and cornice. Outer bays topped
by attics, each with small-paned lights set in round-arched panels,
cornice and coped parapet, and balustraded recess between. Set-back to
second stage of tower and moulded cornice to belfry with moulded eaves
cornice and pyramidal slate cap with cross at apex. Louvred round-
arched belfry openings with moulded architraves and keystones, and each
set in recessed panel. Round clock with moulded architrave on second
stage to west and circular windows on other 3 faces with 4 panes and
moulded architraves. Central pair of 3 panelled west doors with panelled
reveals, moulded architrave and moulded cornice to triangular pediment.
3 steps up to door with flanking bootscrapers. One-bay returns to front
stage with round-arched small-paned windows and small-paned attic lights.
Interior: dog-leg stairs to tower and gallery at each side of entrance
lobby; closed string with stick balusters and square newel posts. Moulded
cornice to nave and chancel. Small boarded bracketed west gallery.
Moulded elliptical chancel arch with panelled soffit, moulded capitals,
and inscription: "HOLY. HOLY. HOLY. LORD. GOD. ALMIGHTY". Centre east
window with moulded architrave and flanking windows with beaded corners.
Fittings: chancel panelling with moulded cornice, probably of 1929.
Communion rails to left and right with wrought-iron supports. Plain
C19 choir stalls. Organ to right of chancel arch. Octagonal oak pulpit
of 1929 with stem, paired panels, Corinthian colonnettes at corners and
frieze and moulded cornice. Brass lectern. Oak chancel screen of
1917; 7 alternating wide and narrow bays with Corinthian columns on pedestals,
frieze, cornice and central triangular pediment. In memory of Second
Lieutenant Percy Mellor "who fell in action in France in the attack on
the Hohenzollern redoubt". Plain pine pews. Octagonal stone font dated
1848 with step, stem with trefoil-headed panels, bowl with quatrefoil
panels, and wooden cover with crockets and finial. Stained glass in
north window of c.1905 by Kempe and Tower. The present building stands
near the site of an earlier chapel-of-ease, first recorded in 1552.
Hamilton published a book of "Designs for Rural Churches"in 1836. The
builders employed for the erection of the tower in 1910 were Wilton and
Son of Newcastle. B.o.E., p. 323; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural
Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p. 741; Colvin, p.383;
Vivienne Painting, The History of St. Leonard's Church Woore Shropshire.
Listing NGR: SJ7305742380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings