History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Cleasby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5112 / 54°30'40"N

Longitude: -1.6149 / 1°36'53"W

OS Eastings: 425032

OS Northings: 512939

OS Grid: NZ250129

Mapcode National: GBR KJ58.5N

Mapcode Global: WHC5W.5W81

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 19 December 1951

Last Amended: 29 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1179301

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322651

Location: Cleasby, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL2

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Cleasby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cleasby with Stapleton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Lucy Cross

Listing Text

CLEASBY MOOR LANE
NZ 21 SE
(east side)
5/12 The Old Vicarage
(formerly listed as
19.12.51 Parsonage)

- II

Vicarage, now house. Dated 1717, probably with older range to rear. 1717
range for John Robinson, Bishop of London. Roughcast, stone slate roof to
main range, concrete interlocking tiles to rear range. L-shaped plan. 2
storeys and loft, 3 bays to main range. Chamfered rusticated ashlar quoins.
Central C20 vertically-panelled door, with lozenge-glazed top panel, in
ashlar surround with deep bolection moulding. Above the doorway an ashlar
plaque with a coat of arms surmounted by a bishop's mitre, and inscribed
"1717 Joh Robinson Eps. London". On ground floor to left, early C20 square
bay window. Other windows 6-pane unequally hung sashes in timber
architraves, and with cornices, and projecting sills supported on brackets.
Shaped kneelers, ashlar coping. Brick end stacks. Right return has single-
storey lean-to addition, not of special interest, and above it a 9-pane
unequally hung sash window and a 6-pane fixed-light window. Further along
right return, rear range has a C20 casement window on each floor; shaped
kneeler, ashlar coping and brick stack to right end. Interior: not
inspected at resurvey but reputed to contain an old dogleg staircase,
probably of 1717. John Robinson was born in Cleasby in 1650, became
Chaplain to the English Embassy at the Swedish Court c1680, Bishop of
Bristol in 1705, Lord Privy Seal in 1711, First Plenipotentiary to the
Congress of Utrecht 1712-13, Bishop of London 1714, and died in London in
1723.


Listing NGR: NZ2503212939

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.