History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hackleton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1839 / 52°11'1"N

Longitude: -0.83 / 0°49'47"W

OS Eastings: 480089

OS Northings: 254601

OS Grid: SP800546

Mapcode National: GBR CYG.0YX

Mapcode Global: VHDSD.KCKP

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 3 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235501

Location: Hackleton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Hackleton

Built-Up Area: Piddington

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Piddington with Horton

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Hackleton

Listing Text

HACKLETON CHURCH END
SP8054 (North side)
Piddington
20/101 Church of St. John the Baptist
03/05/68

- II*

Church. C13, C14. Restored 1877-8 at a cost of £1,300 by E.F. Law when north
aisle was rebuilt and nave roof was renewed. South aisle and porch rebuilt, and
chancel given new chancel arch, roof and east window 1900-1902 by firm of Law
and Harris. Further restoration 1908. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone,
lead aisle roofs, slate roof to nave, plain tile roof to chancel. Chancel,
aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window
with C19 Perpendicular tracery and hood mould. No windows to sides. Nave has
2-light clerestory windows with 4-centred heads and hood moulds. North aisle has
2-light east and west windows with quatrefoils to heads, 4-light window to north
with straight head and ogee-arched lights flanked by similar 3-light windows;
all have hood moulds. Blocked chamfered north door with hood mould. South aisle
has 2-light windows to east and west ends and either side of porch with C19
Decorated-style tracery and 4-light window to south-east with straight head, all
with hood moulds. South door of c.1900 with shafts in porch of same date with
double-hiollow-chamfered doorway, both with hood moulds, and 2-light windows to
sides with straight heads. 3-stage tower has west door with 2 orders of shafts,
roll-moulded and hollow-chamfered head and hood mould. Small lancet window
above, and 2-light bell-chamber openings with plate tracery and trefoil-headed
lights, all with hood moulds. Corbel table, trefoil frieze above, tall octagonal
corner pinnacles and spire with broachs and one tier of lucarnes with Y tracery
to cardinal directions, an octagonal collar with a stone-coped parapet, then a
spire slightly recessed with one tier of tall thin 1-light lucarnes set spire
and its octagonal base are both of ironstone in diagonals, Body of church has
plain stone-coped parapets. Interior: chancel has tiled sanctuary. Nave has 4
bay arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded bases and capitals
and double-chamfered arches. Octagonal font with shafts to stem. Monuments: wall
monument to Joseph Swayn, Apothecary d.1720 of limestone with gadrooned apron,
upright oval tablet topped by cherubs heads. Wall monument to Thomas Mercer
d.1733 of limestone with draped tablet, cherubs heads, trumpets and lamp finial
signed Samuel Cox. Wall monument signed by same sculptor to Thomas Mercer d.1739
of veined marble with slate inscription panel and obelisk background and rococo
bracket. Wall monument to Thomas Mercer d.1747, signed by Henry Cox of veined
marble with apron, circular swagged tablet, obelisk ground and grenade finials.
Wall monument to John Glass, Deputy-ranger of Salcey Forest, d.1775 of limestone
with upright oval tablet on ground painted to resemble pink marble, garlands and
cherubs' head to apron; signed Jas Andrews Olney. Wall monument to Elizabeth
Mercer d.1782 signed W. Cox, of veined marble with apron and lamp finials. Wall
monument to Thomas Mercer d.1809 with upright oval tablet on slate ground with
applied marble swag and crest. Other C19 wall monuments.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p372; S.M. Lewis: A Family of
Stone-Carvers, The Coxes of Northampton; Northants Past and Present: Vol 1,
No.6, 1953, pp19-58)


Listing NGR: SP8008954601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.