History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bull House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8719 / 50°52'18"N

Longitude: 0.0067 / 0°0'24"E

OS Eastings: 541290

OS Northings: 109967

OS Grid: TQ412099

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.8HP

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.LG4

Entry Name: Bull House

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191309

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293163

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lewes St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

TQ 4109 NW LEWES HIGH STREET
14/181 (south side)

25.2.52 No 92 (Bull-House)

GV II*

House, now restaurant. C15 with C16, C17, C18 and C19 alterations and additions
and C16 rear block. Timber-framed and plastered with some close-studding exposed
on left return-front. Plain tiled roofs, with twin spin roofs to rear and front
gabled projection to road. Jetty over ground-floor on road-front, returning
part way sown left return front; also on rear block to left. Both jetties boxed
in, that to rear on brackets decorated with heads and dragon-post. Plain tiled
roofs with tall stack on rear block and side stack to right. Hipped dormer on
left side of projecting wing. 2 storeys and attics. Irregular fenestration;
single glazing bar sash in attic of gable towards road with canted oriel on first
floor over two ground-floor glazing bar sashes in open boxes. Single glazing bar
sash on first floor of left return front-with small pointed window with Gothick
glazing to right and two irregular ;glazing bar sashes below. Single glazing bar
sash in open box on both floors of front face of rear wing. Half-glazed door at
angle of front face of front wing with door at left of left return-front with
pentice hood. Tom Paine lived here from 1768-1774.


Listing NGR: TQ4128809966

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.