This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.75 / 51°45'0"N
Longitude: -0.9819 / 0°58'54"W
OS Eastings: 470382
OS Northings: 206191
OS Grid: SP703061
Mapcode National: GBR B0T.BKS
Mapcode Global: VHDVF.X8SS
Entry Name: Master's Court
Listing Date: 24 April 1951
Last Amended: 16 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248460
Location: Thame, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Thame
Built-Up Area: Thame
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Thame St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
THAME CHURCH ROAD
SP7006SW (East side)
8/33 Master's Court
24/04/51 (Formerly listed as No.14
(Lord Williams' Grammar
Grammar school, now offices. Dated 1569 to inscribed stone panel to central
cross-gable. Rendered stone plinth; uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar stone
dressings; C20 plain-tile roof; stone end stacks with brick diagonally-set
flues. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range: 1:3:1. Ribbed and studded door to
central Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered surround and hood mould. 2-light
stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to ground floor
except C19 angled bay window, with stone hipped roof, to left, having stone
mullion windows. Panel with armorial crest of Lord Williams of Thame above door.
3-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to first
floor left, centre, and right. 2-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds
and metal casements to left and right of centre. Parapetted cross-gable to entry
with 4-light stone mullion window with hood mould and metal casement. Mid C19
gabled full dormers to left and right with 2-light stone mullion windows.
Interior: mid C16 stone fireplaces to most rooms. C20 staircase from ground
floor to attic. Queen post roofs. History: school founded by Lord Williams of
Thame in 1558. C20 additions to rear are not of special architectural interest.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.814).
Listing NGR: SP7038206191
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings