History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mill Restaurant and Attached Aqueduct

A Grade II Listed Building in Stone, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9035 / 52°54'12"N

Longitude: -2.1424 / 2°8'32"W

OS Eastings: 390518

OS Northings: 334016

OS Grid: SJ905340

Mapcode National: GBR 15J.Z12

Mapcode Global: WHBDF.282Y

Entry Name: The Mill Restaurant and Attached Aqueduct

Listing Date: 24 January 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1196750

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386020

Location: Stone, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Civil Parish: Stone

Built-Up Area: Stone (Stafford)

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stone Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stone

Listing Text


STONE

SJ93SW MILL STREET, Stone
651-1/4/46 (North side)
The Mill Restaurant and attached
aqueduct

GV II

Corn mill, now restaurant. Datestone inscribed:1795. Brick
with tile roof. Rectangular 4-storey structure. Large
segmental-headed opening to left end has C20 infill with
paired doors. Varied fenestration: segmental-headed windows
with C20 casements; 1st floor loading door with renewed gabled
canopy, datestone, partially obscured by ivy, to right. Left
return has segmental-arched aqueduct bringing mill leat to 1st
floor level. Rear has C20 single-storey addition. INTERIOR has
heavy timber beams, on round iron columns to ground floor,
chamfered timber posts to 1st floor, which retains great spur
wheel, probably in situ. Most of the machinery and the wheel
have been removed. The site of the Priory Mill; the producer
of Hovis flour, Stoney Richard Smith, was born in the Mill
House (not included).
(Leaflet on The Mill Hotel and Restaurant).


Listing NGR: SJ9051834016

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.