History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Druid House Including Stable About 10 Metres North West

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashburton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5264 / 50°31'35"N

Longitude: -3.7731 / 3°46'23"W

OS Eastings: 274415

OS Northings: 71124

OS Grid: SX744711

Mapcode National: GBR QG.V8FJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 27ZN.XHZ

Entry Name: Druid House Including Stable About 10 Metres North West

Listing Date: 10 May 1973

Last Amended: 1 September 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200962

English Heritage Legacy ID: 375979

Location: Ashburton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Ashburton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Ashburton

Listing Text


ASHBURTON

SX77SW DRUID
849-1/1/233 Druid House including stable about
10/05/73 10m NW
(Formerly Listed as:
DRUID ROAD
Druid House)

GV II

Large house and stable. House looks early C19, but may be a
remodelling of an earlier building; minor additions, including
stable, in late C19 (possibly 1892). House has solid rendered
walls, the front lined to imitate masonry. Stable of stone
rubble with red-brick dressings. Slated roofs. Centre block of
house has rendered chimney on each gable end; other rendered
chimneys at rear. House presents a regular appearance to SE,
with centre block flanked by short wings, that to right
containing the front door; left wing extended in late C19.
Rear part irregular, probably the result of one or more
additions. Stable block at rear of narrow courtyard. House
2-storeyed with garrets; wings 1-storeyed. Centre block 2
windows wide; original wings have 1 opening each, that to left
with 1-window extension. Centre block has plain triple-sashed
windows; deep eaves-cornice with paired brackets; 2 gabled
dormers with 2-light wood casements and bargeboards. Wings
have rusticated flanking pilasters; their fronts rise to a
parapet which conceals the roof. French window in left wing;
5-panelled door with pilasters and entablature in right wing.
Extension to left wing has overhanging eaves; sash-window with
margin-panes. Gable-end to left has shaped bargeboards with
fleur-de-lys decoration and finial; inset in wall-face a
coat-of-arms with date 1892. Side wall of right wing has
2-light granite-mullioned window (probably late C19) with
glazing bars forming Gothic arches; coloured glass. Stone
mounting-block set into rear wall. Stable has wood casement
windows with glazing bars. Wood bell-turret.


Listing NGR: SX7441571124

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.