History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Werneth Grange Convent

A Grade II Listed Building in Werneth, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.531 / 53°31'51"N

Longitude: -2.1321 / 2°7'55"W

OS Eastings: 391338

OS Northings: 403818

OS Grid: SD913038

Mapcode National: GBR FWKL.6Z

Mapcode Global: WHB9B.6HYY

Entry Name: Werneth Grange Convent

Listing Date: 8 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201674

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388898

Location: Oldham, OL8

County: Oldham

Electoral Ward/Division: Werneth

Built-Up Area: Oldham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Werneth St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Hollinwood

Listing Text


OLDHAM

SD90SW GRANGE AVENUE
780-1/3/35 (North side)
Werneth Grange Convent

II

House, now in use as convent. Dated 1871 with early C20
extensions. Coursed and squared rusticated rubble with banded
Welsh slate roof. Gothic style.
Original house 2 storeys with attic and square in plan,
asymmetrically arranged. Extended early C20 on conversion to
convent by addition of chapel and accommodation block behind
it, on site of earlier stables and now forming east wing of
house.
Entrance front of original house a 3-window range, with
right-hand half-hipped advanced gable, and principal doorway
to left in angle with range facing garden, in wood traceried
gabled porch, with swept roof. Further doorway in angle with
right hand gable, in shallow projecting 2-storeyed porch with
swept conical roof. Paired sash windows to the ground floor,
and 3-light mullioned and transomed window above between these
entrances.
Advanced gable to right with central oriel bow window to first
floor, sprung from corbel, paired lancet windows to attic
above, and 2-pane sash windows to ground floor, separated by a
buttress and with hood-moulds over.
Narrow gable to the far right probably associated with early
C20 additions has moulded archway to recessed porch and timber
canted oriel above, with leaded lights. Gable end of garden
front to the left of the main entrance porch, with expressed
gable end stack with date in roundel, and oriel window wrapped
round angle as pinnacle with lancet lights and spirelet.
Almost symmetrical garden front with outer gables, 3 and 2:3:2
light bay windows under leaded roofs, and 3-light mullioned
and transomed windows above.
Central section has 2-light mullioned and transomed window
with traceried upper lights. Gable end stacks to garden range,
axial stacks to entrance and rear block. Chapel projects as
east wing of house, in austere Early English style of 3 lofty
bays.
INTERIOR retains many original features including tiled
central stair hall, with gothic stair case and stained glass
internal windows and doors.
The house became a convent of the Sisters of Mercy in 1907,
when the chapel wing was added. The oak fittings of the chapel
were removed from the chapel of an earlier convent in Cardinal
Street, Oldham.


Listing NGR: SD9133803818

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.