This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0767 / 53°4'36"N
Longitude: -0.9524 / 0°57'8"W
OS Eastings: 470279
OS Northings: 353787
OS Grid: SK702537
Mapcode National: GBR BK4.01Q
Mapcode Global: WHFHF.BXQQ
Entry Name: The Residence and Vicars Court and Adjoining Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1211749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242341
Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Southwell
Built-Up Area: Southwell
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
1919-0/11/50 (South side)
07/08/52 The Residence and Vicars'Court and
adjoining boundary walls
Residence house, Vicars' Court and adjoining boundary walls.
Residence house 1689, for William Mompesson. Rear wing by
William Handley, 1772. Refronted by William Lumby, 1785.
Remodelled and extended by Richard Ingleman, 1806. North and
south wings demolished 1956. 4 houses forming Vicars' Court
possibly by William Lumby, 1779. Brick with stone dressings
and slate and plain tile roofs. Windows are mainly glazing bar
sashes. The vicars' houses are laid out at the corners of a
rectangular courtyard, with the Residence linking them at the
east end. Residence west front, Classical Revival style, has
plinth, sill band, eaves cornice and balustrade, 2 ridge and
single gable stacks. 2 storeys plus basement; 5 window range
with projecting pedimented centre. Central Doric doorcase with
pediment and half-glazed door, stone steps and scrolled
handrail. On either side, 2 windows and a screen wall linked
to the vicars' houses. Rear has a projecting central wing with
a canted 2 storey bay window at the east end, and a external
lozenge-shaped stack to the north. Steps to plain wooden
doorcase with overlight in the return angle. Interior has
dogleg stair with cut string and stick balusters. Vicars'
houses have plinths, chamfered eaves, openings with rubbed
brick heads, hipped plain tile roofs and 2 large ridge stacks.
Each has glazing bar sashes and 6-panel doors. 2 storeys plus
attics; 5 window range with 2 flat roofed dormers on either
side. Central door with overlight. Between the southern pair,
a mid C19 addition with 2 small sashes and a doorway. Between
the northern pair, a coped wall with central doorway and iron
gate. West ends, facing Minster churchyard, have each 2 blank
windows on each floor. Ashlar boundary wall linking west ends
has gabled coping and central gate with obelisk-shaped piers.
North sides, facing church Street, have 3 windows on each
floor and between the houses a coped wall with a central
pedimented gateway. Adjoining boundary wall, to left, has a
off centre gateway with rusticated piers and a wrought iron
gate. Approx. 60M long. These buildings formed the the
residences of the Vicars Choral serving the Minster and the
Canon Residentiary during his term of office.
(Norman Summers: A Prospect of Southwell: London: 1974-:
Listing NGR: SK7025753779
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings