This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9234 / 51°55'24"N
Longitude: -0.9253 / 0°55'31"W
OS Eastings: 474003
OS Northings: 225534
OS Grid: SP740255
Mapcode National: GBR C03.6XF
Mapcode Global: VHDTH.XX6C
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1289625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 396744
Location: East Claydon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: East Claydon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: The Claydons
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 72 NW EAST CLAYDON CHURCH WAY
1/21 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. Transitional S. chapel, C14 chancel, C15-C16
W. tower and alterations to nave. C19 N. aisle, vestry and
S. porch. Very much restored by Sir G.G. Scott 1871. Rubble
stone with large coursed blocks to tower and chancel. Nave
has lead roof, remainder tiled. Tower of 3 stages has
diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet and paired lights to
bell-chamber. W. side has moulded 4-centred arch to door and
3-light cusped window with 4-centred head. Single light to
second stage of N. side. Nave has plain parapet, lancet to
W. of N. side, 2-light window with Y tracery to S. of S. side
and clerestory of 2 3-light windows to S. S. door has
2-centred chamfered arch and gabled timber porch. S. chapel
has lancet windows, one to W., 2 to S. and E. N. aisle has
3 bays of 2-light windows with Y tracery, and re-used C16
doorway with 4-centred arch and carved spandrels. Chancel
has restored Decorated windows, 2 2-light to S., one to N. and
3-light to E. Vestry to N. Interior: double chamfered tower
arch. C19 N. arcade with chamfered arches on octagonal piers.
S. arcade has one Transitional arch, square cut with outer
zig-zag moulding and moulded imposts. To E. of this arch is
a C15 arched opening with carved head stops to hoodmould.
S. chapel has C13 piscina and steps to rood-loft. Original
moulded purlins and ridge to nave roof. Steeply pointed,
double chamfered chancel arch with inner order on corbels with
carved winged figures. Chancel has 2-light traceried window
to vestry, and C19 piscina. Fittings: much restored C15 octagonal
font; C17 communion table in S. chapel; glass in E. window 1887;
other fittings C19. Monument: C18 marble wall monument in nave
with flanking Doric pilasters and side scrolls, and crest of
urns and shield.
RCHM II p. 102-3.
Listing NGR: SP7400325534
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings