History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lutterworth, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4562 / 52°27'22"N

Longitude: -1.1995 / 1°11'58"W

OS Eastings: 454493

OS Northings: 284546

OS Grid: SP544845

Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.X53

Mapcode Global: VHCTD.5J7G

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 11 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392581

Location: Lutterworth, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Civil Parish: Lutterworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Lutterworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Lutterworth

Listing Text

LUTTERWORTH
MARKET STREET
SP5484
1323-0/9/87 (East side)
11/01/55 The Manor House
GV II*

House, now offices. Early C18, partly refronted in mid-C19.
Stuccoed with horizontally-rusticated ground floor; moulded
bands over ground and first floors. Very deep boxed wooden
eaves to slate roof with rendered end ridge stacks and slope
stack to front at right of centre. Three storeys; regular
seven window front, glazing bar sashes, shallower on second
floor than below with moulded eared surrounds, probably early
C18. Giant pilasters flank facade on bases running through
ground-floor; anthemion-decorated inset panels and stylised
Corinthian pilasters. Central panelled door with diamond and
margin-glazed transom-light in Doric half-columned surround
with full entablature hood over. Interior: various early C20
bolection-moulded fire-surrounds, that in the entrance with
large double-tiered mantel surround in neo-Jacobean style
(probably late C19), with central circa 1730-40 Swithland
slate surround with panelled sides, imposts, keyblock and
lintel with carved bird and flower relief decoration.
Stone-flagged entrance hall with heavy egg and dart and
ribbon-work cornices. Stair rising though two storeys at rear
of hall. Anti-clockwise rectangular open-well stair with
shorter intermediate flights, probably circa 1720-40. Iron
twist balusters with gadrooned bulbs and square knops.
Corniced tread-ends and profiled cheek-pieces. Open ramped
rail. Columnar newel-posts with upturned gadrooned upturned
over. Footsplay and bull-nosed curtail step. Dado-panelled
sides with ramped upper rail and pilasters mirroring
newel-posts.


Listing NGR: SP5449384546

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.