History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The White Hart

A Grade II Listed Building in St Matthew's, Walsall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5766 / 52°34'35"N

Longitude: -1.9833 / 1°58'59"W

OS Eastings: 401230

OS Northings: 297647

OS Grid: SP012976

Mapcode National: GBR 2D5.Z7

Mapcode Global: WHBG1.HHTJ

Entry Name: The White Hart

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320034

English Heritage Legacy ID: 219056

Location: Walsall, WS1

County: Walsall

Electoral Ward/Division: St Matthew's

Built-Up Area: Walsall

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: St Michael and All Angels, Caldmore with St Mary and All Saints, Palfrey

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Walsall

Listing Text

WALSALL MB CALDMORE GREEN
SP 09 NW
7/21 The White Hart
19.10.51
- II
House, then public house, now unoccupied Late C17, altered 1884. Brick with tile roof.
Three storeys. Facade has projecting wing at right with shaped gable.
To the left the main range has two shaped gables, with a porch in the angle
with the right-hand wing having a similar gable. There are two moulded
brick string courses, and the windows have rendered surrounds and mullions.
The right-hand wing has a canted bay window of 1884 on the ground floor and
and enlarged 3-light window above. Beneath each gable of the main range
there is a two-storey canted bay window with two lights to the front and
one to each side. Above each there is a 2-light window. Between them on
the first floor is a one-light window. The porch has a 2-light window on
the first floor and one of one light above. The outer doorway has a moulded
elliptical arch. Between the bay windows is a doorway with Tudor-arched
head, inserted in 1884. The left-hand return wall has one bay under a
shaped gable, treated in a similar way to the front elevation. Chimneys
on left-hand wall of projecting wing and on ridge between the two shaped
gables. Interior: said to be re-planned in late C19. Roof said to contain
timbers re-used from a timber-framed house. (VCH, Staffs, Vol VII, p 178).


Listing NGR: SP0123097647

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.