History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Copt Hall and Attached Walls, Pavilions and Conservatory

A Grade II Listed Building in Epping Upland, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6937 / 51°41'37"N

Longitude: 0.0678 / 0°4'4"E

OS Eastings: 543017

OS Northings: 201463

OS Grid: TL430014

Mapcode National: GBR LFD.RYK

Mapcode Global: VHHML.4P6G

Entry Name: Copt Hall and Attached Walls, Pavilions and Conservatory

Listing Date: 4 July 1984

Last Amended: 30 November 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337306

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118702

Location: Epping Upland, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Epping Upland

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Epping St John

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Epping

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-
TL 40 SW EPPING UPLAND

6/11 Copt Hall

II

The address shall be amended to read:


TL 40 SW EPPING UPLAND

6/11 Copt Hall and attached
walls, pavilions and
conservatory

GV II
And the description shall be amended to read:
Also known as Copped Hall. Country House. Built c.1751-8, probably by John
Sanderson for John Conyers; internal remodelling by James Wyatt. c 1775;
extended and remodelled c.1895 by C E Kempe for Edward James Wythes. Flemish
bond brick with Portland stone dressings. Double-depth plan flanked by screen
walls, extended to right c.1895. Palladian style. 3 storeys. East and west
fronts each of 2:3:2 fenestration with pedimented centre. East front has
central porch with moulded cornice and semi-circular arched rusticated doorway,
having paterae with festoons in spandrels; rusticated quoining to ground floor,
which has square-headed architraves to windows; raised cill band beneath first-
floor windows which have cornices and pulvinated friezes over architraves;
square-headed architraves to second-floor windows. Similar fenestration to
4-bay left (south) side wall, with eared architrave to c.1895 doorway. West
(garden) front has similar fenestration and tetrastyle Ionic pilastered portico
built in stone by Kempe, c.1895; doubled staircase (balcony removed) rises on
rusticated basement with 3 round-arched openings to first-floor piano mobile,
which has pedimented full-height window openings; sculptured figures flank
pedimented sundial in tympanum. All elevations have modillioned stone cornices,
balustraded parapets and chimneystacks with moulded stone caps by Kempe,
c.1895. Addition to right, of 4 x 4 bays, is also by Kempe and in matching
style, with 2 bays to left of west front faced in stone ashlar with Ionic corner
pilasters. Subsidiary features: east front is flanked by blind arcaded screen
walls, of 4 bays to right and 5 to left, with stone parapet and impost band
running to end pavilions, each with broken pediment over semi-circular arched
niche; paterae between arches on right. Conservatory attached to south (left),
built c.1895 and of L-plan with wing extending to west: 6-bay rusticated west
elevation, with Ionic columns and balustraded parapet to central gateway; rear
wing has 6-bay blind arcade with banded rustication articulated by Ionic half-
columns rising to dentilled cornice. Copt Hall has remained derelict since it
was destroyed by fire in 1917.
(National Monuments Record; VCH; Country Life, Vd 28 (1910), pp 610-17, 646-53;
M McCarthy, 'Sir Roger Newdigate: drawings for Copt Hall, Essex, and Arbury
Hall, Warwickshire', Architectural History, Vol 16 (1973), pp 26-36; 'Copthall,
Essex', in H Colvin, J Harris (ed.), The Country Seat, Studies in the history of
the British Country House presented to Sir John Sumnerson, 1975, pp 18-29.

------------------------------------

TL 40 SW EPPING UPLAND
6/11 Copt Hall

II

House. Circa 1775 by James Wyatt, altered early C20. In stock brick with
Portland stone dressings. 3 Storeys. 2,3,2 window range. Angle quoins to
ground floor only. Band over. Centre projects slightly to full height with
pediment over. Ground floor window openings with cill band, architraves,
pulvinated friezes and cornices. Centre window similar with ramped sides, and
cornice on consoles. Top floor window openings are square with architraves.
Stone modillioned cornice and balustrade all early C20. Ground floor has flat
headed, solid, slightly projecting porch. Round headed rusticated doorway,
paterae in spandrels with swags, and cornice over. To right and left are screen
walls of single storey height, culminating in stone pavilions. Arcaded with
coping. The Pavilions are taller and wider, and crowned by pediments. The
screen walls are of unequal length, 4 bays on the right and 5 bays on the left.
Behind the right hand screen is an external 3 storey wing in matching style.
Garden front similar with C20 attached tetrastyle Ionic pilastered portico
in Portland stone with Portland stone walling between. Elaborate sculpture
in pediment. In the centre, on the ground floor is a projecting terrace for
the piano mobile, with 3 round headed openings. The balustrading is missing.
Elaborate early C20 chimneys. Interior completely destroyed by fire in 1917.
The building is a shell with no roof, windows or doors. (Country Life
29/10/10).


Listing NGR: TL4301701463

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.