This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8973 / 51°53'50"N
Longitude: 0.6738 / 0°40'25"E
OS Eastings: 584060
OS Northings: 225456
OS Grid: TL840254
Mapcode National: GBR QK6.34G
Mapcode Global: VHJJD.MKKX
Entry Name: Marks Hall Cottages
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116183
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 82 NW COGGESHALL MARKS HALL ROAD
2/155 Nos. 1 and 2, Marks
House, now 2 houses. C16, altered in C18 and C20. Mainly timber framed and
plastered, partly of red brick in English and Flemish bond, roofed with handmade
red plain tiles. Timber framed main range facing SW, with 2 axial stacks.
Brick wing extending forward at left end, with C18 stack in left wall, and small
C20 extension to left. C19/20 wing to rear of right end. 2 storeys. 5 C20
casements on ground floor and 4 on first floor. 2 plain boarded doors, and
half-glazed door in C20 extension to left. Front elevation of main range faced
with brick in Flemish bond to level of first floor, plastered above. The brick
wing is of C16 bricks in English bond to a height of approximately 3 metres,
and C18 bricks in Flemish bond above, the front elevation much altered around
the windows. Roofs hipped. Elaborately scrolled wrought iron weathervane on
roof of brick wing. Profiled sprockets below eaves. Jowled posts. Chamfered
axial and transverse beams, unstopped, plain joists of horizontal section.
Frame mainly concealed by interior finishes. Formerly a service range of Marks
Hall, which was demolished in 1949, but probably a house earlier. This may be
the part described in RCHM (Markshall) 2 as built c.1566, although the origin of
this precise dating information is unknown.
Listing NGR: TL8406025456
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings