History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Battisford Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Battisford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1511 / 52°9'4"N

Longitude: 1.0037 / 1°0'13"E

OS Eastings: 605589

OS Northings: 254571

OS Grid: TM055545

Mapcode National: GBR SK6.2L4

Mapcode Global: VHKDW.B6Z8

Entry Name: Battisford Hall

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352140

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279782

Location: Battisford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Battisford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Battisford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ringshall

Listing Text

BATTISFORD CHURCH ROAD
TM 05 SE

6/7 Battisford Hall

II

Farmhouse, built mid C16 as a manor house; probably for Sir Thomas Gresham,
founder of the Royal Exchange, or his father Sir Richard. Originally of 3-
cell form; single-bay extension to left and rear wing, both of C18/C19. Major
remodelling of c.1900. 2 storeys. Timber-framed, encased at the front c.1900
in red brick with burnt headers; a crow-stepped gable to right. Plaintiled
roof; an C18 or C19 axial chimney of red brick and another to left which was
once external. Mainly casements with transomes of c.1900, some with leaded
lights; various bay windows and French windows. An entrance porch of c.1900
at right hand gable, with crowstepping and an arched doorway; a panelled inner
doorway. Framing mainly concealed. Crownpost roof: in the chamber over the
hall is an octagonal crownpost with 2-way plank braces. A fine fireplace
lintel in a ground storey room is of c.1530 with vinescroll carving and a
central merchant mark; it is believed to have been introduced from elsewhere
in c.1900.


Listing NGR: TM0558954571

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.