History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Post Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2577 / 52°15'27"N

Longitude: 1.1132 / 1°6'47"E

OS Eastings: 612570

OS Northings: 266732

OS Grid: TM125667

Mapcode National: GBR TKB.D90

Mapcode Global: VHL9T.7JV4

Entry Name: Old Post Office

Listing Date: 14 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352494

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281680

Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford

Built-Up Area: Wetheringsett

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wetheringsett

Listing Text

WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD
TM 16 NW
3/95 Nos. 1 & 2, Old Post
- Office

-- II
Former farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. C16 with mid C20 renovation. Timber
framed and rendered. Thatched roof, hipped over service end to right. 3-
cell form. 2 storeys and attic. 4 windows, mid C20 2-light casements without
glazing bars. Former entrance porch below stack, the door now replaced by a
window. Matching mid C20 doorways to left and right, each with plank door and
a flanking full-height window. Stack has rebuilt axial shaft. Interior.
Considerably modernised. Some good quality studding in hall and chamber
above, with evidence for original windows. Hall has chamfered-joist ceiling,
the main beam with broach stop-chamfers at one end. Mutilated moulded lintol
over hall fireplace. Service partition removed and replaced by later studded
cross-partition in lower bay of hall. Queen-post roof. Use as post office
ceased in 1884.


Listing NGR: TM1257066732

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.