History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Godalming Galleries Ltd

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1858 / 51°11'8"N

Longitude: -0.6102 / 0°36'36"W

OS Eastings: 497228

OS Northings: 143869

OS Grid: SU972438

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.NJH

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.CGRB

Entry Name: Godalming Galleries Ltd

Listing Date: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291501

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING WHARF STREET
SU 9743 NW
(north east side)
13/215 No 3 (Godalming Galleries
Ltd)
GV II

House, now with picture gallery. c.1700, altered C19, c.1900 and C20. Stucco
scored as ashlar to front, timber frame with brick infill to wing; plain tile
roofs. 2 storeys and attic; 2 bays with rear wing. Rusticated quoins, string
below corniced parapet. Inserted shop front has 2 recessed doors under over-
lights, each to left of a canted shop window with panelled aprons and rounded
top corners to windows. Shop front is flanked by fluted and panelled pilasters
with brackets supporting dentilled cornice over fascia. On first floor, two
canted bay windows with transoms, casements and moulded cornices; between them,
a decorative iron sign bracket. Roof has two C20 2-light casement dormers;
brick end stack on right. Rear: gabled wing of small-scantling, square-panelled
timber frame with queen struts on collar in gable; projecting rearwards from
left side of wing is similarly timber-framed outshut, and then a C19 brick
single-storey gabled former wash-house having on its inner return a door on
right of 3-light, 12-pane, casement window. Interior: in shop, slender cast-
iron columns with acanthus leaf motif; in rear wing, two unsquared cross-beams
on ground floor; front range has on first floor stop-chamfered spine-beam
supported by large central post and closed-string stair up to attic with turned
balusters and square-section newels, that on attic floor with polygonal finial.


Listing NGR: SU9723443876

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.