History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kington Langley, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4918 / 51°29'30"N

Longitude: -2.1047 / 2°6'16"W

OS Eastings: 392828

OS Northings: 176992

OS Grid: ST928769

Mapcode National: GBR 2S4.GQ2

Mapcode Global: VH965.GRPQ

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1363854

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315890

Location: Kington Langley, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Kington Langley

Built-Up Area: Kington Langley

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Kington Langley and Draycot Cerne

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Sutton Benger

Listing Text

KINGTON LANGLEY LOWER COMMON
ST 97 NW

8/79 Manor House

20.12.60

GV II


House, c1700, extended later in C18 and early in C19, rubble stone,
originally roughcast, with ashlar dressings and hipped stone slate
roof. Two rear stacks. Seven-window, 2-storey front with ashlar
plinth, moulded string-course and plain band under roughcast
parapet. Removal of roughcast shows that originally of five bays,
the two wider-spaced bays to right added. Windows are 12-pane
sashes, possibly replacing stone cross windows, with cement render
frames. In fourth bay of original range is 6-panel door in fine
bolection-moulded doorcase. In two added bays, the dripcourse is
stepped over ground floor sashes. Four-window similar south front
with ridge and west stacks. Similar detail, revealed cornerstones
suggesting that first three bays are original. In angle behind is
2-storey-and-attic early C19 range with various sashes, one round-
headed stair-light, and lean-to on north wall. Owned by the
Coleman family of the Greathouse (q.v.), the birthplace of the
mother of the diarist Francis Kilvert (1840-79), who describes
visits to his uncle, Walter Coleman.
(June Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960, 91)


Listing NGR: ST9282876992

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.