History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Church of Saint Catherine

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9665 / 52°57'59"N

Longitude: -2.6818 / 2°40'54"W

OS Eastings: 354303

OS Northings: 341227

OS Grid: SJ543412

Mapcode National: GBR 7L.K331

Mapcode Global: WH89H.SP4Q

Entry Name: Former Church of Saint Catherine

Listing Date: 1 May 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260615

Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban

Built-Up Area: Whitchurch (Shropshire)

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Whitchurch

Listing Text

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. DODINGTON (south-west
SJ 5441
side)
8/61 Former Church of Saint
1.5.51 Catherine
GV II

Chapel of ease, now builder's store. Dated 1836. Red brick, with front
faced in brown/grey sandstone ashlar. Graded slate roof. 5-bay nave
with short chancel, transepts at west end, and integral (liturgical) west tower.
In a neo-classical style. West front: plinth, Tuscan pilasters
supporting full entablature. 5-bays treated as central 3-bay temple
front with pediment flanked by slightly-recessed single-bay wings,
sides of which are treated as end temple fronts. Central projecting
portico in antis with 2 unfluted Ionic columns and Tuscan antae. Broken
attic over. Tall small-paned cast-iron windows with lugged moulded
architraves. Central pair of 8-panelled doors (lower panels beaded
flush and upper panels with vents) with stone doorcase consisting of tall
unfluted Tuscan pilasters supporting entablature and cornice, with blocking
course above, raised and projecting to centre with canted top. Half-H
panel datestone above door with superscribed lettering: "MDCCCXXXVI".
Central 2-stage tower rising out of pediment. Square lower stage with
moulded cornice and blocking course. Octagonal lantern to top stage
(of alternating long and short sides) with Tuscan antae supporting full
entablature and low pyramidal cap. Lower stage with circular clock to
front, louvred occuli to sides and carved coat of arms (Bridgewater Arms)
at base to front. Nave with plinth, brick band beneath eaves, and stone
coped parapeted gable end with acroterion at apex. Small-paned cast-iron
windows with stone cills and gauged-brick heads. Chancel with raised
eaves band and hipped roof. Venetian east window, devoid of ornament.
Interior: partly stripped and gutted since redundancy. Vestibule
beneath tower with round arches to west transepts and into nave. Gallery
staircase in north transept with single-fluted stick balusters and curved
handrail. Pair of large doors into nave, each with 8 flush panels. Nave:
moulded cornice. Panelled plaster ceiling with egg and dart enrichment to
cased beams, and plaster roses to central panels. Console brackets with
acanthus ornament (removed on north wall). Gallery at west end, flanking
organ. Small chancel flanked by Tuscan antae with anthemion and palmette
ornament to capitals and supporting full entablature with wreaths and egg
and dart enrichment to frieze. Interior of chancel with dado panelling
and moulded cornice. Venetian east window with antae, entablature and
moulded architrave to centre light. Some fittings remain. 2 steps up to
chancel and wrought-iron altar rails with wooden rail. Early C19 wooden
reredos with 4 panels, the central 2 panels with painted inscriptions:
"I AM / THE BREAD / OF LIFE" (right-hand) and "I AM / THE TRUE / VINE"
(right-hand), and the Lord's Prayer and Creed on the outer left- and right-
hand panels respectively. Early C19 square wooden pulpit with raised and
fielded panels to sides, Greek Doric corner columns, square tester with
moulded cornice, and flight of wooden steps with closed string, stick
balusters and columnular newels. In separate parts at time of survey
(November 1986). Organ of c.1836 in west gallery. The early C19 Ionic
lectern formerly in this church is now in the Church of Saint Alkmund,
Church Street (q.v.). The tower clock (not working at time of survey)
is said to be the oldest surving Joyce (the famous Whitchurch clockmakers)
clock in England. Much of the walls were stripped of plaster at the time
of survey, revealing early C19 building techniques, such as the round
arches with flush stone keystones, and the wooden slips inserted around
doors and windows on to which architraves and other ornament are fixed.
The widow of the seventh Earl of Bridgewater was the patroness of the
church. The church is so aligned that the liturgical east end is to
the west. This description refers only to liturgical east, west. etc.
B.O.E., p. 314; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches
of Shropshire, Part 8, p. 674.


Listing NGR: SJ5430341227

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.