History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Isle

A Grade II Listed Building in Bicton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7458 / 52°44'44"N

Longitude: -2.8021 / 2°48'7"W

OS Eastings: 345949

OS Northings: 316765

OS Grid: SJ459167

Mapcode National: GBR BG.02TP

Mapcode Global: WH8BL.X7TV

Entry Name: The Isle

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366893

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259066

Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY3

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bicton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bicton

Listing Text

BICTON C.P. -
SJ 41 NE
6/7 The Isle
29.1.52
GV II

Small country house. Probably late C17, with alterations and additions of
1749 (datestone),for Humphrey Sandford, and c.1836. Further late C19 and
early C20 additions. Red brick with some grey sandstone ashlar dressings.
Hipped slate roofs. Rectangular plan with recessed ends, filled in after
1836. Further later additions to east and west. Three storeys. South
(entrance) front: moulded stone cornice and blocking course. Pair of
symmetrically-placed external brick lateral stacks to front with pitched-
roofed links to attic; brick ridge stack off-centre to right, 2 brick-
stacks off-centre to left and integral brick lateral stack to rear.
1:2:1:1:1:2 bays (the left-hand bay is an addition of c.1900) with stacks
between second and third and fifth and sixth from right; 4-pane boxed
sashes (narrow to right-hand end) with stone cills and gauged-brick heads.
Windows in addition to left with segmental heads. Enclosed central Doric
porch of c.1900 with cable-fluted columns supporting entablature, moulded
cornice, triangular pediment, and blocking course to sides; door with 3
raised and fielded panels, rectangular overlight and moulded architrave.
Right-hand return front: 1:2:1 bays with central break. Stone cill band
to second floor. Large post-1911 one-storey addition of 3 x 5 bays with
sashes; pilasters, frieze and cornice; central break with pair of half-
glazed doors. Rear:1:2:1:2:1 bays; first-floor glazing bar sashes in
second and third bays from right. Gables over second and third and fifth
and sixth bays and taller central break with flanking scrolls, moulded
cornice, blocking course and globe finials, and datestone (restored) above
central second-floor window, inscribed: S
H E
1749
Central pair of half-glazed doors. Interior: mostly mid-C18. Central
entrance hall: C18 L-plan oak staircase rising to second floor, with open
string, cut brackets, moulded nosings, column-on-vase balusters (2 per
tread), Tuscan columnular newel posts, and ramped moulded handrail,
wreathed with quarter splay to foot newel; raised and fielded dado panelling
with ramped rail. Dado panelling to first-floor landing too. Right-hand
ground-floor front room: C18 raised and fielded oak panelling with moulded
dado rail and cornice; pilaster strips with raised and fielded panelling
flanking c.1840 marble fireplace. Window shutters with raised and fielded
panels and door with 6 raised and fielded panels and fanlight. Right-hand
ground-floor rear room: C18 fireplace with marble slip, lugged architrave,
frieze with carved scrollwork and urn to centre, and cornice with carved
egg and dart ornament. Enriched plaster cornice. Window shutters with
raised and fielded panels. Right-hand front bedroom: C17-type panelling
with carved frieze. Fireplace with C18 lugged architrave and flanking
pilasters with raised and fielded panels, and C17 panelled overmantel with
lozenges. Left-hand front bedroom: early to mid-C18 fireplace has lugged
wooden architrave with fluted key and C18 pictorial ceramic tiles in reveals.
Right-hand rear bedroom: C17-type panelling with moulded cornice and fireplace
with lugged architrave, panel over and flanking pilasters with raised and
fielded panels. C18 doors throughout with raised and fielded panels. The
house contains (January 1987) a collection of drawings and photographs,
including a drawing dated 1836 showing the building before the recessed ends
were filled in and a photograph of c.1911 showing the south porch but
not the garden room to the east. The Isle has been the Sandford family
home since the C16. Thomas Farnolls Pritchard of Shrewsbury is said to
have carried out some work here, and if so was probably responsible for
much of the mid-C18 work.


Listing NGR: SJ4594916765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.