History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Tew, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9593 / 51°57'33"N

Longitude: -1.427 / 1°25'37"W

OS Eastings: 439472

OS Northings: 229130

OS Grid: SP394291

Mapcode National: GBR 6SR.02X

Mapcode Global: VHBZB.60ZV

Entry Name: Court Farmhouse

Listing Date: 27 August 1956

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368180

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251833

Location: Great Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Tew

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Tew

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Tew

Listing Text

GREAT TEW B4022
SP3929 (East side)
10/21 Court Farmhouse
27/08/56
GV II

Farmhouse. Late C17, probably altered early C19. Limestone and marlstone rubble
with marlstone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roof with marlstone-ashlar
stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys plus attic and one storey plus attic. Front has to
right, gable end of higher wing, containing at ground floor the entrance in a
C19 ashlar gabled porch, a blocked keystone doorway and mullioned window, and a
stepped buttress; on the upper floors are 2-light stone-mullioned windows with
labels, and there is a second-floor storey band. To left, the lower range has a
further gable and leaded stone-mullioned windows of 2 and 3 lights. The lower
range extends further to left, and there is an outshut to right of the higher
range extending to the full depth of the rear wing. There are further leaded
mullioned windows, with labels, in the left range gable wall and at the rear of
2, 3 and 4 lights. The secondary entrance, to rear of the lower range, has a
segmental keyblock arch below a label. Projecting to extreme left of the front
is a single-storey kitchen wing in similar style, with massive ashlar stack on
the front gable. Its roof has been partly dismantled but it remains linked to
the lower range by a segmental archway. Interior not inspected. The porch is
noted as having been brought from a house in the "Wilderness" in the 1850's. The
Wilderness is a garden to Great Tew House which replaced a part of the village
demolished c.1830.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.225).


Listing NGR: SP3947229130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.