History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Littlemore Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Littlemore, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7178 / 51°43'4"N

Longitude: -1.2258 / 1°13'32"W

OS Eastings: 453582

OS Northings: 202401

OS Grid: SP535024

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZK.8WS

Mapcode Global: VHCY1.P2VZ

Entry Name: Littlemore Hospital

Listing Date: 25 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369195

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246504

Location: Littlemore, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Civil Parish: Littlemore

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Littlemore

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

SP 59 SW LITTLEMORE SANDFORD ROAD
(East side)
316/1/106
Littlemore Hospital
25.10.1984
II


County Lunatic Asylum. 1846, enlarged 1847 and 1852. By R.N. Clark of Nottingham, followed by H.J. Underwood and J.C. Buckler. Squared coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressing; shallow-pitched Welsh slate roofs with stone stacks. Central block with wings radiating from flanking octagonal towers. 3-storey main block of 11 sashes, the end bays recessed, with ashlar quoins and first-floor storey-band. Bays 2, 6 and 10 break forward with shallow-pitched gables, the deep verge carried on heavy stone brackets, and with projecting lintels to first-floor windows, by 6 having plain pilasters continuing round the gable and a moulded stone hood on brackets over the main entrance. Hipped roof with boxed eaves. 3-storey towers with timber-bracketted eaves and round-headed sashes are skirted by one-storey ranges linking main block with wings. Central gabled projection with bellcote at rear of main block. 2-storey 12-sash plain wings form sides of forecourt and terminate in 5x3 bay pavillions parallel with the main block. 2-storey fronts have cornice and plain parapet with central canted 2-storey bay window of 2, 3 and 2 sashes under a trangular pediment. Flanking sashes have plain ashlar architrave and blocks supporting sill. Further plain 2-storey wings project from the towers to sides and rear. Outer wings running at right angles to the main block are excluded as is the central rear wing.

Listing NGR: SP5358202401

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.