This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.3363 / 55°20'10"N
Longitude: -1.7361 / 1°44'9"W
OS Eastings: 416840
OS Northings: 604725
OS Grid: NU168047
Mapcode National: GBR J69Q.YX
Mapcode Global: WHC1Y.94KG
Entry Name: Newton Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371158
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236853
Location: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarlan
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Shilbottle St James
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR NEWTON HALL
NU 10 SE
6/184 Newton Hall
Country house. 1772 for Samuel Cook, possibly incorporating earlier farmhouse
in north wing. Enlarged and remodelled 1864 by S.F. Widdrington to his own
designs; main block south bay window raised to 2 storeys, conservatory and
porch added, north-west wing rebuilt; plasterwork by Giovanni Montirolli.
Main block tooled ashlar, north-east wing smooth ashlar, other parts squared
stone; north wing with rendering scored to imitate coursed stone. Graduated
Lakeland slate roofs except for Welsh slates on north and north-east wings.
South elevation: Main block 2 storeys, 7 narrow bays. Plinth, band broken
by ground floor windows, moulded eaves cornice. Bays 2 and 3 project, with
balustraded parapet; ground floor right is enclosed by 2-bay conservatory
with glazed front wall on stone plinth between square piers with moulded caps
and finials. Plain sash windows, taller on ground floor, in architraves with
projecting bracketed sills. Hipped roof with 3 stepped-and-corniced ridge
stacks. Set back to right is end of north-east wing with 12- and 6-pane
sashes in architraves. Set further back to left is 4-bay north-west wing
with plain sashes in chamfered surrounds.
East (entrance) front: Central 3-bay north-east wing with pent-roofed passage
below tall 12-pane and 6-pane sashes,all in architraves. Left end porch with
6-panel door in architrave under carved frieze and modillioned pediment
enclosing Widdrington arms and motto. Set back to left is similar 4-bay
return of main block. Set back to right is lower north wing of 2 + 1 storeys,
with varied fenestration.
West elevation: Square ground floor bay window with balustraded parapet;
to left a Venetian stair window with radial head.
Interior: Conservatory shows Italian niches, panels and fountain set in
walls, and floor of marble tesserae. Entrance hall has half-glazed double
doors in surround with attached columns and cornice; full-size murals of
London Bridge and Venice, by S.F. Widdrington. Drawing Room has C18 carved
marble fireplace, enriched cornice and elaborate ceiling in mid-C18 style.
Library shows similar ceiling and marble fireplace holding early C19 wrought-
iron grate with radial convector hearth. Similar ceiling and fireplace in
Dining Room. Stair hall has Venice mural and 1918 Venetian screen to New
Hall; C18 open-string stair has turned balusters with square knops and ramped
moulded handrail. C18 fielded-panel doors in corniced surrounds throughout.
H. Montgomery-Massingberd, 'The Widdringtons' place in history', The Field
Oct. 11 1986.
Listing NGR: NU1684004725
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings