This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9167 / 52°55'0"N
Longitude: -2.2211 / 2°13'15"W
OS Eastings: 385229
OS Northings: 335503
OS Grid: SJ852355
Mapcode National: GBR 15F.38F
Mapcode Global: WHBD5.VYJB
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1374205
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272376
Location: Swynnerton, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15
Civil Parish: Swynnerton
Built-Up Area: Swynnerton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Swynnerton and Cotes Heath
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
Church of St Mary
SJ 83 NE 5/14 24.1.67.
The core is C12. Aisles were added in C13 and the chancel was rebuilt at this
period. South chapel added in C14 and the tower built against the C12 front with
its Norman doorway in C15. Norman west doorway also in the tower, probably re-set.
Heavy restoration in C19 when the clerestory was added and the roofs renewed.
In the chapel a notable large stone seated figure of Christ of late C13 work, found
under the floor. Triple sedilia in chancel and chapel. C15 chancel screen. Defaced
effigy of a cross-legged knight (probably Sir John Swynnerton, circa 1264) in recess
on south side of chancel. Good east window by Powell, 1864, designed by Sedding.
Graded for both architectural and historic interest.
Listing NGR: SJ8522335502
Other nearby listed buildings