This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6356 / 52°38'8"N
Longitude: -1.1259 / 1°7'33"W
OS Eastings: 459254
OS Northings: 304560
OS Grid: SK592045
Mapcode National: GBR FJK.D3
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.P02T
Entry Name: Wimbledon House
Listing Date: 28 July 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391296
English Heritage Legacy ID: 492326
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: The Resurrection
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10220 WIMBLEDON STREET
Also Known As: Wimbledon House, SOUTHAMPTON STREET
Clothiers warehouse. c. 1870. Designed by William Jackson of Leicester for Messers Hart & Levy, tailors and wholesale clothiers. Orange brick with ashlar dressings. 3 storey with deep basement. Corner site with elevations to Wimbledon and Southampton Streets and a curved linking entrance on the corner.
Corner entrance reached up two steps, double panel doors with blocked fanlight in round headed opening. Stone surround has panelled sides with Greek Key band, moulded impost band and arch, spandrels decorated with carved foliate panels. Above another band and another carved panel with wreathed decoration. Above a tripartite sash window in moulded ashlar surround with elaborate carved cresting. The top floor has a small sash in ashlar surround.
The main street elevations are similar, that to Southampton Street has 6 windows and that to Wimbledon Street 7 windows. Both facades have deep ashlar plinth and deeply sunk basement windows with metal frames and iron bars. Ground floor has sash windows in moulded ashlar surrounds, cornices and elaborate carved cresting, all with linking ashlar cill band. First floor has similar, though slightly smaller sash windows without the carved cresting, and above much smaller sash windows. The whole building is topped with dentillated ashlar eaves cornice and an ashlar balustraded parapet.
The Southampton Street facade has a stone entrance archway beyond, which gave cart access to the rear yard. This prominent gateway has a moulded ashlar arch with curved console keystone and carved patera in the spandrels. The gate is topped with carved entablature with foliate frieze and plain parapet with tiny central section of cresting. The painted wooden double gates have 'linen fold' lower panels [one replaced by a C20 door] and ornate iron grilles in the upper panels.
This is an architecturally impressive and extremely well preserved example of a late Victorian clothiers and tailors warehouse.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings