This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1568 / 50°9'24"N
Longitude: -5.6208 / 5°37'14"W
OS Eastings: 141470
OS Northings: 34808
OS Grid: SW414348
Mapcode National: GBR DXH8.J4L
Mapcode Global: VH058.JBC3
Entry Name: Guidepost approximately 350m north-west of Bosullow Cottage
Listing Date: 30 July 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1410391
Location: Morvah, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Morvah
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Pendeen
Church of England Diocese: Truro
An early-to mid-C19 guidepost.
The guidestone survives at the apex of an unclassified road junction on Bosullow Common. It is triangular in plan with a rounded top. The two faces have the following inscription: MORVAH AND ST JUST on the west and ZENNOR AND ST IVES on the east. The lettering is in Roman capitals incised into the stone surface. There is a representation of a pointing hand incised into each face above the lettering. A line broken by two dots is cut into the stone below the word St Just and St Ives, and a guidepost mark is inscribed at the bottom the St Just side. The stone has recently been painted which with the lettering picked out in black paint.
The Penwith ‘Finger Stones’ are a series of early-to mid-C19 guideposts which are scattered around the Penwith district. The stones differ in style, but all feature a hand with a pointing finger. Six stones have inscribed dates. The earliest date is 1819. One stone is dated 1834. Four stones are dated 1836. By the mid-C19 the roads in Penwith were heavily used to transport equipment to the various mines in the district and to nearby ports such as the one at Hayle. The guideposts may have been erected to help direct these travellers around the landscape. This guidepost does not have a date. It is likely to date from the early-to mid-C19, contemporary with the other similar guideposts. It was repainted in the early C21.
The guidepost approximately 350m north-west of Bosullow Cottage, Bosullow Common, Morvah is designated Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is probably a pre-1840 guidepost used to direct travellers around a rural landscape;
* Intactness: as an intact example which remains in its original position;
* Group value: it forms part of a distinct group of guideposts in Penwith which retain a similar dressing and function
Other nearby listed buildings