History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gelli Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bronington, Wrexham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9886 / 52°59'18"N

Longitude: -2.801 / 2°48'3"W

OS Eastings: 346323

OS Northings: 343774

OS Grid: SJ463437

Mapcode National: GBR 7F.HQ48

Mapcode Global: WH89F.Y4BP

Entry Name: Gelli Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 November 1962

Last Amended: 20 October 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1675

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Reached by private road on the N side of a minor road between Tallarn Green and Tybroughton, approximately 1.9km ESE of Tallarn Green church.

County: Wrexham

Community: Bronington

Community: Bronington

Locality: Tallarn Green

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Malpas

History

A C17 house, probably originally a lobby-entry plan of 3 units comprising hall, parlour and service room, with rear wing possibly added later. It was originally 1½ storeys but was subsequently raised to a full upper storey. It is shown on the 1873 Ordnance Survey as 2 dwellings. The rebuilding of the front in brick, at which time the original entrance in line with the stack was concealed, was probably contemporary with this subdivision.

Exterior

An L-plan timber-framed house, with white-painted brick front, slate roof hipped to the R and T-shaped brick stack R of centre. In the 3-window front the entrance is at the R end, within an added gabled porch with boarded door. Another, blocked doorway is L of centre. Both entrances probably date from the rebuilding of the front in brick and its division into 2 dwellings. Windows are 2-light and 3-light casements. The rendered L gable end has a C20 bay window. The R side wall and rear are box-framed with white-painted brick nogging and in the main range the framing shows heightening contemporary with the raising of the rear wing. The R side has, to the R of a low gabled brick projection, a 2-light casement window.

In the rear gable end of the wing the framing, part of which has been replaced in brick, nevertheless reveals the original roof line, the raising of the eaves to create a full upper storey and the subsequent raising of the ridge. It also has a 2-light window lower R and similar window in the upper storey, of which the latter is a replacement in an earlier opening. Against the rear of the main range is an added white-painted brick 1-storey lean-to with half-glazed door.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special architectural interest as a C17 timber-framed vernacular farmhouse retaining original fabric, and as part of a well-preserved farm group.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.