This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8601 / 51°51'36"N
Longitude: -4.2964 / 4°17'47"W
OS Eastings: 241961
OS Northings: 220444
OS Grid: SN419204
Mapcode National: GBR DG.SYSG
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.HH0W
Entry Name: Section of wall at SW corner of Parc Hinds
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9509
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on S corner of football ground, at SE end of Old Priory Road.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Part of wall of Priory of St John. Early Welsh monastic site, originally church of St. Teulyddog (possibly Teilo), reference was made to an Abbot here in the C8. The Normans briefly attempted to install Benedictine monks here before 1125, but then Augustinian canons were installed. The Priory was looted in 1403, and dissolved in 1537. The ''Black Book of Carmarthen'' came from the scriptorium and the famous Eisteddfod of 1450 was probably held in the grounds. Following Dissolution in 1537, the Priory became a private house, some of the buildings gradually falling into ruin. There was a poor-house here in the C18. Most of the site was cleared in 1781 by Lord Cawdor for the establishment of a leadworks. The leadworks was demolished by 1860.The site has been partly excavated since 1979. This section of wall is thought to have been part of the SE side of the priory church.
Short stretch of a standing wall of coursed stone, 8m long and 2.8m high, which is thought to have formerly comprised part of the south-east elevation of the former medieval Priory Church of St John. It is now incorporated into the later SW boundary wall to Parc Hinds. Late C20 cement coping.
Included for historical interest as small survival of the Priory, with the piece of wall at NW corner of the playing fields and the cottage row Nos 6-7b.
Other nearby listed buildings